Chicken Aggressive after Starting to Lay Eggs???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by citychickydees, Sep 24, 2012.

1. citychickydees

citychickydees Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2012
    I have a small flock of three. I have a Rhode Island Red, a white polish, and a black chicken whose breed is still unknown. They were raised together from babies, so they are definitely a family.

The Rhode Island Red is obviously at the top of the pecking order. She used to peck at the white polish's head, but after putting a product called rooster booster on her, the feathers grew back and the pecking stopped.

The Rhode Island Red, Penny, just laid her first egg three days ago. We are so excited!! However, she has become increasingly more aggressive. She has been pecking at the backs of the two other chickens. When I went outside today, I noticed the black chicken was bleeding and the white chicken looked scared to go back into the coop.

What do you think is causing the aggressive behavior? Do you think it's hormonal because she is starting to lay eggs? What can I do to stop it?

Thank you!!!! Any help is appreciated.

Courtney

2. citychickydees

citychickydees Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2012
    I forgot to include that they are (as of an hour ago) separated. I built an enclosed area under my coop, so my big red hen is down there by herself. It is starting to get a bit chilly at night where I live, so I don't know how comfortable I feel letting her sleep outside.

Once again, thank you for your help!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by