chicken alarms

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by roosmom, Sep 3, 2008.

1. roosmom

roosmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    upper peninsula
    [​IMG] Our chickens would not go into the coop. We had to get out our scare stick. TWO nites in a row they didnt want to go into the coop. Then.......I came home earlier in the evening and saw the chickies staring at the coop and doing the buck, buck bwak thing, so I went down there. There he was, in all his stinky glory, the skunk. I grabbed the scare stick (it was on the groung) and started to hit the ground to scare it off. Well it wasnt to scared but it did finally meander away and the chickens were able to go into the coop. My DH made a live trap the next evening and we baited it with bacon grease. Hope he enjoyed that meal cause the next one cost him his freedom. Crisis solved! [​IMG] Do your chickens give alarms or hints like that when something is not right with their world?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2008
  2. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* You betcha!!

3. Aneesa's Muse

Aneesa's Muse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Oh yeah ...the boys even do the "warning clucks" if they see the little girls wander by their night quarters (huge kennels for dogs, actually) ...before the light is up good. It's hilarious to hear those manly boys sounding all skeered of the Triplets (my little Black Star pullets) [​IMG]

I am very surprised that you weren't sprayed by that darn skunk! [​IMG]

4. roosmom

roosmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    upper peninsula
    Aneesa's Muse :

I am very surprised that you weren't sprayed by that darn skunk! [​IMG]

[​IMG] After my father scared me with his SKUNKS KILL CHICKENS stories I was more worried about my chickies. Oh well......​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by