1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken Alert

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chockens13roo, Nov 19, 2016.

1. chockens13roo

chockens13roo Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2015
    A month ago I started turning on a light in the pen to supplement day light so the girls continue to lay. This is about 4:30 am I hear loud/group clucking and think a egg has been laid. Next morning same thing but louder. I look out my window and see the shadow of what looked like a fox tail. Second passing I could see a beautiful fox stalking my pen. I get a baseball bat and go out to see if he is still around, gone. This morning, he's back. When I went out I banged skillets together and walked towards the pen. The chickens calmed down and I knew he was gone. The pen has been reinforced and closed off so there is only one way in. If he does get in, I doubt if he could get out with a hen. I don't want to destroy him but I will. So glad I heard the difference in the clucking

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    You could always try to live trap him and haul him off several miles. Watch your fingers when you pick up the trap! ;)

3. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    NO, NO, NO! PLEASE do NOT haul him off several miles! In doing so, you will likely be breaking the law, taking a chance on spreading disease (fox are known to carry rabies), dumping your now trap-wise predator on someone else, or sentencing him to a long, drawn out death by putting him in unfamiliar territory where he may be on another animal's turf or where he can't find water or food. PLEASE - unless the previous poster is willing to take on your predator - kill it if you're going to trap it. I think you can avoid that, though, if you are sure your coop and run are secure enough to keep it out. I don't know if you free range or not, but maybe don't let them out for a bit, and hopefully your fox will give up and move on. (If your run isn't covered, you may want to consider that - I have read on here that fox can climb...)

1 person likes this.
  4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

5. chockens13roo

chockens13roo Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2015
    The pen has been re enforced and I have also put chimes and beer cans on the door. This is the second time he has come. Hopefully with what I've done and the chickens alerting me, he will move on. Either way I don't intend for him to get my chickens. This chicken experience has truly been a labor of love. Thanks for your input

6. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Gotta be prepared for whatever invades at night. Remember foxes, like your neighbor's dog can climb and dig under. And don't forget if you have foxes you have raccoons, opossums, minks and so forth.

[​IMG]

7. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Yep, they're out there!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by