Chicken allergy??? Hands breaking out!

Chickendummy

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 28, 2010
My son's Dr. has diagnosed him (guessed I say) with a chicken allergy. Has anyone ever experienced, or heard of, this? His hands have this breakout that, to me, looks like psoriasis. My son is 8 years old and loves caring for our girls. He likes to hold them, but it's not like he's carrying them around all the time. Caring for our chickens has really sparked a sense of responsibility in him and Dr. has ordered him to not handle the chickens in any way for a week. I bought a pair of gloves for him to use, but we didn't have time to guage whether or not they would help - he saw the Dr. the next day. Dr. prescribed Triamcinolone Acetonide ointment.

Thanks,

CD.

Thanks for the reply. :)

No, he hasn't had any clinical testing. I think that will be the next step since he has a follow-up in a week. We'll see what happens then. I have been re-searching chicken allergy online and some of the symptoms others have had sound similar to my son's reactions. He's only 8 so it's not like he can communicate or associate a particular symptom to an exact event. He might have been displaying symptoms long ago. We only started keeping chickens this May and now his hands are affected and we "see" a reaction. He has complained of headaches in the past and sometimes ran a fever or felt sick for no apparent reason. These could have been reactions to chicken that he ate.

Bummer 'cause we love chicken.

CD.

Back
Top Bottom