Chicken almost continuously sneezing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by vermontchixs, Feb 17, 2017.

1. vermontchixs

vermontchixs New Egg

Feb 17, 2017
    One of my chickens which is 3yrs old keeps sneezing continuously. No other symptoms like runny noise and she is eating well. However one of my younger chickens died two weeks ago when someone else was looking after them for me. It is winter in Vermont they have large inside coop with heat lamp and they go out in their run all day long. They have plenty of clean water. Any advice?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Did the person who looked after your chickens also have chickens at their home? It could be that they brought in a virus on their shoes or clothes, but respiratory problems can be from diseases, poor air circulation or too much heat in the coop, as well as mold. With constant sneezing, it could be a virus called infectious bronchitis. Wild birds can also being in diseases. Antibiotics are not effective unless they develop secondary infections. You might see watery albumen or whites of the eggs, and sometimes a wrinkled egg shell. IB can last around a month, and make the others carriers for up to a year. If you could get in touch with your local poultry lab or state vet, they may arrange for testing to confirm IB. Adult chickens tolerate this disease fairly well, but chicks can suffer kidney or reproductive problems.

1 person likes this.
  3. kealoni

kealoni Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2016
    I would give them some tylan.i had same problems. With my hens.a few of them would of died without it.it works wonder

4. vermontchixs

vermontchixs New Egg

Feb 17, 2017
    The person who looked after my chickens was staying at my home so the chickens were in their normal environment.
    I have good air circulation and air filter in the coop and its not too warm. I have had no unusual looking eggs. Coop is dry no mold. Bedding and floor wood shavings are replaced weekly.
    I just started giving probiotics and Vetrx.
    Do you think I should separate the chicken that is sneezing from the others?

5. vermontchixs

vermontchixs New Egg

Feb 17, 2017
    Can you only get Tylan from a vet? Our nearest vet is an hour away.

6. kealoni

Dec 14, 2016
    It depends...here in Michigan they are making it so you have to get it from a vet.you might be able to get it at a feed store.but if you can't get it at a feed store.you can get it at a vet. all vets might not carry it I am not sur

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  7. vermontchixs

vermontchixs New Egg

Feb 17, 2017
    The feed store said they don't have it will have to call vet on Monday

8. kealoni

Dec 14, 2016
    Tylan is made for cattle.if you look it up you can find the correct dosage

9. Yemimah

Yemimah Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2017
    Try your local cattle farmers. They will probably know where you can get it quick locally. Down in the south you can get it at Southern States I think ( feed store). You can give them vitamins and electrolytes just like you would keep a sick person hydrated. Also another good help is a hatchery as they have adult breeding stock that they oversee . They usually have good advice.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by