Chicken ambush!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mrsbos, Oct 28, 2010.

1. mrsbos

mrsbos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2010
    Greenacres, WA
    Why do chickens always have to be 'roosting' on top of something...or perched on something off the ground. My EE pullets are only 2 1/2 months old, but I can't tell you how many times I've been in the yard weeding, filling their water/feed, crouched down to pet another chicken, etc, when all of a sudden from behind....WHOOOOSH.....now there is a chicken--or two--on my head/back/shoulder! I love holding the chickens...having them near me....but I'm not so much into chicken poo hair conditioner. There was nothing worse then the smell/feeling of fresh warm chicken poo sliding down the back of my neck and onto my nice sweater. Granted, it only happened once, but EEWWWWWWW! And if they aren't sneaking up on me from behind, if I'm not paying attention sometimes they'll jump up at me from the front, and I'll get wing slapped and clawed in face as they try to get onto my head! What gives?[​IMG]

2. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    Awww, it sounds to me like your birds love you! [​IMG]

Seriously, though, I'd just take them off of you quickly if you don't like them jumping on you. Eventually they'll probably learn that you don't like it when they do that. It's just a sign of friendliness and chickens being, well, chickens. They may outgrow it with time, too, as they get heavier.

3. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    my RIR always flys up to my arm when i open the door to there run, so she can see what treats i have for them, and to be the first to munch on them.

4. midd2005

midd2005 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Oahu
    mine have jumped on my back a time or two without my being ready for it. no pooping though. but since i live in a rather warm climate, my back and shoulders are often bare. yikes, those chicken talons can be sharp!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by