1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken Anatomy

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by eggcetra_farms, Jul 11, 2007.

1. eggcetra_farms

eggcetra_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2007
    San Antonio, TX
    Forgive me if anyone has posted something similar before, but after reading a couple different posts I thought this might be helpful.

Pictures of a chicken's anatomy

Interior view:
    [​IMG]

Exterior view (not that great a picture, hopefully you can tell what it says):
    [​IMG]

If anyone has any other useful items, post them. I just thought this is good basic info. I'll look for any other helpful pictures.

Ok, the second picture came out smaller than what it showed in the preview, so if you'd like to see a larger version please visit http://www.blackforestpoultry.com/howto.html and go about 1/3 down the page. There are also other pictures that may be of use on the site.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2007
    judybee, axworthys and Tammy N like this.
  2. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
  3. Chicken_Lover4567

Chicken_Lover4567 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Central Texas
    [​IMG] Not labeled or anything, but hopefully it helps. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. davids21

davids21 New Egg

Apr 27, 2009
    Thanks this was exactly what i was looking for:p

5. Rockpile99

Rockpile99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2009
    Longmont
    Very informative thank you.

I've been reading a lot about different comb types but I don't know what they all look like. Is there a thread or site somewhere that has examples of them all?

Karen

6. Telamon

Telamon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    I have no idea.
    Quote:really cool!

7. GoodyChickenShz

GoodyChickenShz Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2007
    The CA High Desert
    A lot of the links no longer work. How about checking them out and updating them.

8. bradlee

bradlee New Egg

Feb 18, 2013
    injury/cure i put oyster shell flakes in my chicken feedf thismorning tonight i noticed swelling of upper right brest on one hen on closer inspection i noticed all my chickens had varying degrees of swelling same area.the swelling apperes to be an abundence of injested matter traped in o pocket eminating from behind the upper right brest,the"croop"orgizzard i suspect is cloged by the oyster shell.my bad.i am uncertain of the anatomical location of a chickens organs so im uncertain as to exactly what is cloged.but whatever the anatomy is called it is definately protruding out from behind their {plural}brests on the reght side.is this possible?i need to know what to do sincerly bradlee

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by