Chicken and broken leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Flybaby, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Flybaby

Flybaby New Egg

Jul 15, 2012
    My chicken's leg is broken above the joint. Had her to the vet, but no splint was given. It was been 3 weeks, and have taken her away from the rest ofthe chickens, as they are pecking at her. She keeps her leg against her body. I do not want to put her down, and would like to get her back in the coop. What can I do?

2. Sarevan

Sarevan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2013
    White Swan, WA
    Sorry tablet double posted

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  3. Sarevan

Sarevan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2013
    White Swan, WA
    It has been 3 weeks since she broke her leg? The vet say what type of break? Compound- bone protruding through skin, Greenstick - bone is crackedand bent Simple -bone broken no splinters, under skin may still be aligned, Comminuted - bone ends shattered.

If been 3wks the bone is already starting too knit together amd heal. You could try a chicken sling to support her weight to see if she will straighten her leg. Search here in forums some good pictures and how tos on the sling. You can gently examine her leg, compare it to her good leg and see how the healing is progressing. I do think it may be too late to try a splint. You will be one to decide that though after you examine her to compare the bones.

If you decide to splint get tongue depressers, or stiff plastic, pad the side to her leg with gauze or cloth not too thick, tape it above and below the break to prevent movement. Check to make sure not too tight by checking circulation below the injury by lightly pinching and releasing to check for unrestricted blood flow. If remains pale it is too tight. Even in the scaly part of a chickens leg you can see blood flow this way. It is like squeezing your finger and it becoming white when you release it becomes pink again. Not much pressure is needed. She will need to have her movement restricted in the chicken sling to prevent weight and movement of injury.

This may not work as I think chickens can be healed in a month depending on the break. I would assess her by putting her in the sling and see how she reacts.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by