Chicken and compost piles

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jdgbirds31, Jan 8, 2015.

1. jdgbirds31

jdgbirds31 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2014
    Right now I have my compost pile fenced off to keep the kids, dog, and chickens out. We are adjusting our chicken setup this spring to make a fenced area around the coop/run for the birds to forage in. I was wondering if I could/should but the compost pile in the new area for them to dig through... I saw somewhere that people do this but I'm worried about the rotting kitchen scraps. Thx!

2. MyTMo

MyTMo Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2014
    Novato, CA
    I am no expert but from what I have read your chickens and compost pile should work very well together. I wouldn't worry about the decomposing material. My ladies seem to love the pile I have and the compost looks great. Hope this helps you.

3. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

My secured chicken run is my compost pile.

14'x14', 8 to 24 inches deep of pure black gardeners gold!

If it's biodegradable and not poisonous, it goes in the run.

4. Monstro

Monstro Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2014
    Wayland, MI
    I plan on setting up a chicken compost area this spring also.
    My understanding is most chickens wont pick at something bad for them, with exception of avocado, I think i read. Also to sprinkle scratch or simular every so often so they work it up better, which should help with the rotting factor.

Ive been wondering about the set up of it also. If its the entire main run, or a fenced off area to help contain it? If the composted stuff should be moved to a cooling area outside of run before being used on the garden? Also if coop clean out (pine shavings) goes into run compost, or outside to mix with possible cooling pile.

5. attimus

attimus Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]my chickens love the compost

6. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

Do a bit of reading on deep litter for the run.

This is essentially a working compost pit for the flock.

Lots of great info on this site.

7. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Compost piles are to chickens as mud is to a pig, or a dead seal on the beach is to a dog.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by