chicken and duck eggs???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by playswithfowl, Jan 1, 2008.

1. playswithfowl

playswithfowl One Earth!

Jun 18, 2007
    Oregon
    I was wondering if duck and chicken eggs could be incubated in the same incubator??? Thanks, AJ

2. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    chicken takes 21 days and a duck takes 28 .also the humidity is higher for ducks

3. lannabun

lannabun Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    indiana
    i my slef have done it hatch rate isnt that good because like chickencrazzy said humdity needs to be lil higher for ducks .

4. billson1

billson1 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2007
    lecenter minnesota
    i have always incubated and hatched chicken and duck eggs together in my gqf sportsman and never had any problems

5. KingsCalls

KingsCalls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    New Market,Tn.
    billson1.....would probably be the exception to the rule. Duck eggs need a higher humidity than chicken eggs. I use momma duck or a broody hen. When you use a broody hen, you will need to mist the eggs lightly with lukwarm water about every 3 days. I've never tried to do both in the same bator at the same time.

6. billson1

billson1 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2007
    lecenter minnesota
    Quote:NOT really gqf instructions for duck wet bulb temp is 84 to 86 = 54 to 57 humidity, wet bulb temp for chickens in 85-87 =54-59 humidity and the final 3 days wet bulb temp is the same for ducks chicken and geese 90 to 94 which is 68 to 80 % humidity wet bulb temp for geese is 84 to 88 ieven hatch geese in the same just put them on the top tray i have a very good hatch rate and know others who do the same thing so no i am not the only one and humidity isnt that much of a difference

7. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    I have never had them in the same incubator but I have incubated duck eggs under the same conditions as required for chicken eggs and had good hatches, but I did use a plant mister and gave them a mist once a day or so. The problem with incubating them together if you don't have a hatcher is that the hatching of the chicks will introduce bacteria into the incubator, the same problems arise with incubating multiple batches or chicken eggs.

8. GloriaH

GloriaH Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Watertown, Tennessee
    I have always incubated chicken and duck eggs together without any problems. I just start the duck egg first and then add the chicken eggs when the time is right.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by