Chicken and Duck Garden question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sanchabird, Mar 10, 2014.

1. sanchabird

sanchabird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2014
    North Georgia
    Hi everyone! I'm going to grow a chicken/duck garden and a people garden this year. I will use organic heirloom seeds for both gardens but they WILL be separate because last year my chickens decided that my veggies would be a good snack.[​IMG] So this year, they will have their own garden to raid. I haven't gotten my ducks yet, but I will be when my feed store gets them in, in abut a month. I will be using a kiddie pool for the ducks when they go outside. I have read about people using the "duck water" from their kiddie pools to water the gardens. I'm trying to keep the duck and chicken eggs as organic with the exception of feed (Layena Omega 3). All of the scraps they get now are organic. Sorry for the rambling on. My question is if I use the duck water on both gardens, are they contaminated with anything?

2. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    When I use duck water, I water the base of the plant. Only if you have a sick duck would I worry about using that water.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    You could also use the duck water on a compost windrow, if you have the space. The composting process is an additional step in the natural recycling of nutrients.

4. pinusresinosa

pinusresinosa Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2013
    North Branch, MN
    I would say that as long as the water you're using isn't concentrated, given at the base as already suggested would be a great idea! Composting it is another great idea. Composting litter filled with poop makes great compost.

My husband and I had a giant fish tank before we had kids, and I'd siphon the water during water changes right into the garden. Was the best fertilizer. Although, it's not duck so I don't know why I mentioned it. LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by