chicken and duck?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kerrysmommy, Apr 15, 2011.

1. kerrysmommy

kerrysmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2010
    My house :]
    i was wondering if a chicken and duck can produce something? i have 3 hens with a duck and my dad says they can but hes not the brightest person to go to for chicken stuff lol

2. packmomma

packmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Argos, IN
    Well hm.. probably a question for google. I do know that my sister-in-law's duck loves to breed her chickens lol.. Now wether or not that would produce something I have no clue. Usually species cant interbreed. Would be a funny looking creature regardless lol.

3. kerrysmommy

Mar 15, 2010
    haha i cant seem to find anything on google tho but it would be a funny looking creature i wonder what it would look like and be called?

4. suzeqf

suzeqf Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    they can do the deed but i don't think they produce a baby they are to different genetically unlike a horse and a donkey who are very close genetically but the mule they produce is sterile

5. kerrysmommy

Mar 15, 2010
    okay thx i was wondering cuz i have a duck with 3 hens and his gf got taken by a fox

6. mudchicken

mudchicken Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2010
    I was talking to one of my co workers and he said growing up his friends had chickens and ducks. Well, a chicken went broody and 3 weeks later hatched out, what he said, one of the most screwed up creatures he had ever seen. they were either crossed a chicken with a duck or vice versa. They only lived one day and died

7. Komaki

Komaki Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    Incase children are here I will keep this as clean as possible. You should NOT let them. A duck has a different "shape" so o speak. It can really arm the hen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by