Chicken and ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by cowlady11, Jul 25, 2008.

1. cowlady11

cowlady11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    Haydenville, MA
    I am currently trying to hatch duck eggs, and only one of them is moving along. If i picked up a day old chick once the duckling hatches, would they both get along once they are grown up? Or should I just get a few more day old ducklings?Thanks for reading

2. LinckHillPoultry

LinckHillPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    They should get along quite well. Just watch the duckling around water, they tend to play in it and make a mess, and you don't want the chick to get cold and the duckling either.
    What I usually do when I have ducklings is only fill the base of the waterer quite often so they donnot make an absolute mess.

Good luck with the egg!

3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I put my chickens and duck together about 1 month ago. They had never lived together, and they are doing great. This is the first time that they have lived together. They get along great and dont fight. I even have baby chicks and a momma with them.

4. kodiakchicken

kodiakchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Kodiak, Alaska
    My chicks and ducks were shipped together but I separated them almost immediately because the ducks were growing so fast and stomping on the chicks. They went through a phase where the ducks bullied the chickens, but now they all share a house and are quite happy. I think with one duck and one chick you wouldn't have these issues though.

5. cowlady11

cowlady11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    Haydenville, MA
    awesome...thanks guys!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by