Chicken and garden vegetables

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by conny63malies, Mar 30, 2008.

1. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    If everything works out i will be a proud chick-momma in three weeks. The first 8weeks is not what i am concered right now, they will have a brooder. I am wondering how they will act once they have accsess to the garden, you know once they are moved into the future coop. They will kind of have to share the yard with my veggies and raspberries and salads. Will they eat them or leave them alone???? [​IMG]I like to eat the veggies myself [​IMG]

2. They will probably grab your veggies and berries while your still thinking of them. Best to try to fence off the garden spot and let them just look & weep.

3. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    they will peck holes in all your perfect tomatoes the day before you were planning to harvest them

4. rdranch

rdranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    Strasburg,CO
    Our girls did not go for veggies unyil they were about 3-4 months old. Now they attack anything put in the run. This year they will get their own garden with alfalfa and wheat grass planted in it. The goal is to give them something green to nibbles on that will grow back and buts and critters for them to eat in the only irrigated area in the free range territory. I will have to protect the compost piles until it's their turn to tear them apart and turn them. Little do they know I'm putting them to work .[​IMG] They will get plenty of stuff from the veggie gardens but only when I give it to them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by