Chicken and Opposum Standoff

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Chicken Staff, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Chicken Staff

Chicken Staff Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2011
    [​IMG]

We have a young possum living under our deck in the backyard. Usually, he only comes out at night after the girls are asleep in their coop. Today, I threw a big juicy tomato out for an afternoon treat. I looked out a few minutes later and the possum and our small flock were at a standoff over the fruit. The large red sex link, Gertrude, chased him soon after the photo was taking, trying to bite his tail. He stopped, hissed and bared his tiny sharp teeth before disappearing under our deck. No one was hurt. The chickens calmly went back to their juicy snack. Chickens 1 - opposum - zero.

2. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    What will you do when it comes back?

3. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Haha! thats funny! Your chickens can stand up to an opusssum (sp?) and my chickens run away screaming when they see a bunny!!!

4. Chicken Staff

Oct 4, 2011
    Quote:He's always here, under the deck. He normally only comes out at night. Racoons also visit at night, but the girls are always locked in a very secure coop. Who would have guessed we would have all of this wildlife in a suburb of Silicon Valley.

5. Chicken Staff

Oct 4, 2011
    You should see how they treat my cats [​IMG]
    Quote:

6. Chicken Staff

Oct 4, 2011
    Hey, ChickenPeep, I just thought of something based upon your comment. Do your chickens live in a fairly open rural area? If so, they're probably very aware of every potential threat and potential predator. My little flock are free range, but in a smallish suburban backyard. As such, they are masters of all they survey as the saying goes. Not sure if that's good or bad, but and interesting thought, anyway.
    Quote:

7. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

Cute! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by