Chicken (and other animal) Photography!

HorseFeathers

Frazzled
11 Years
Apr 2, 2008
Southern Maine
OK. I just ordered a Nikon D60 and I'm soooo excited. It should be here anywhere from 8-10 days. I'd like to take some pics of the hennies and want to get some tips! Here's a few Q's but I'm thirsty for other tips too!

What can I use for a cheap white (or otherwise) background?
How do I get the chickies to behave (obviously, take a lot of shots, but any other special thigs that would help...?)
Will these same tips apply to geckos, cats, and possibly goats as well? Any tips regarding these pets too?

Thanx!
Enviro

*click click* Watch me slowly (or not so slowly) turn into a full-blown shutterbug!

Use colored sheets for backdrops. Any color canvas works too. My mother had a black, white and navy blue backdrop.

You can try treats for behavior, but taking pix of animals is really hit or miss. You have to be fast and snap snap snap.

Good luck. I'm sure you will LOVE your Nikon.

You want a thick cloth (so light and items from behind don't show through.

Go to Jooans, look for a thick felt, or even something that may wash off. Probably don't want anything plasticy or reflective.

Let the animals check out the location (good for cat's and dogs), the chickens I just pull em out of the box and throw 'em up there in front of the camera.

If you can't keep an animal still on the ground, try using a stool or something like that, where they have to hesitate and think about jumping and running.

Get at their level. Try different angles. Don't do what most people do and stand up shooting down at their animals.

Lighting--try outside around an hour or so before sunset or inside have well lit window nearby for some light.

Wow quick responses! Thanx!

Volume- I already sort of had the "down at their level thing" figured out- for cats and stuff- good to hear anothe rperson agrees!

THANX again!

craft paper is cheap and smooth, sheets and dropcloths can work but are usually wrinkled

hang it vertically and let it curve around on the ground for a seamless look.

light from above at 45 degrees in every direction, like this /|\\

how's that for a quick tutorial, or go by one of those glamor shot places at a mall and see what they have.

and i just found this, http://www.diyphotography.net/
there
is a lot of good stuff there in the 3 min i took to look there
big_smile.png

Once I used faded blue jeans denim as a background and I really liked the color and texture that it added.

OK. Camera HERE! It's awesome. I went out to the coop today (one of many trips) just to snap some pics. They turned out great!

Some features I am really excited about that I had no idea existed: I can change my background to a pic, and I can make a stop-motion animation movie, right on the camera!

Churrah!
celebrate.gif

I just got a Nikon d60 2 weeks ago. I am really enjoying it. Close-ups are great and I was just playing around with no flash of a votive candle in the dark. Colors and depth of field come out awsome. You will really love your camera.

Back
Top Bottom