chicken and pigs

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by dougjefferson, Nov 12, 2013.

1. dougjefferson

dougjefferson Out Of The Brooder

Just thinking about putting some pot bellies in with my chickens. Has anyone else done this. Pros/cons.

2. GD91

GD91 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2013
    UK
    Pigs kill & eat chickens once they realise chicken tasted good. Personally would not chance it. There aren't really any pro's.

3. I have heard it's fine, and saw pictures of a pig living in a coop. I have been wondering the same thing so.. I would doubt a pig would eat a live chicken?
    Good Luck!

4. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    It would depend on the pig. My neighbor has a FAT old potbelly that probably wouldn't hurt a flea. On the other hand, I have 60 market hogs in the hog barn that would love to eat ME if I fell in the pen... let alone a couple chickens. I hate pigs.

5. GD91

GD91 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2013
    UK

Apparently yes, they do. I was surprised to . I was told during my agricultural course 3 years ago. But circumstances differ. Try it, if you lose a chicken then at least you know not to try it again lol

6. dougjefferson

dougjefferson Out Of The Brooder

Lol. My yorkshire pigs would eat chickens all day long. Was thinking of reworking my pot belly pens and let chickens run through the same area.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by