Chicken and rat poison

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by burntkiwis, Dec 11, 2011.

1. burntkiwis

burntkiwis New Egg

Sep 23, 2011
    because of high winds and the bucket blowing in to the run the chickens managed to get hold of the rat poison, I'm not sure how much they ate. Does any one if it will do them any harm? Will the eggs be ok to eat? Although if they are still laying it makes this all a bit pointless as I always say the first sign of a heathly chicken is it laying but being winter they are not laying much. They ate it thursday and a few seem to be losing a few feathers I don't know if its anything to do with it but they have already malted.
    cheers James Harsent

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Oh my, it may depend on the type of rat poison. I hope they are alright. I wouldn't eat the eggs for a couple of weeks just to be safe.

3. burntkiwis

burntkiwis New Egg

Sep 23, 2011
    im not sure what sort of poison it is. I know some thins there blood and another makes them vomit but rats can't vomit I'm not sure about chickens. But yer I think we'll leave the eggs for a few weeks. Thanks for the advice

4. newchickenman12

newchickenman12 New Egg

Nov 13, 2012
    What ever happened with your chickens that may have eatin some of the poison?? I just had a few hens get into a very small amout of Dcon rat poison and I am worried sick over it?? not really sure what can be done at this point??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by