Chicken and the Raccoon

pdpalmer

In the Brooder
May 12, 2016
A few nights ago we were awoken by a raccoon raiding our chicken coop. Fortunately, I got out there in time and only one of our three chickens was grabbed. There was a large pile of feathers and at first I thought she was dead. Then she popped up from the pile. We quickly noticed that the other chickens were attacking her. She has lost her crown and most of her under-feathers.

Question is this: Will her crown grow back or is she forever without one?

Last edited:
Hi and welcome to BYC :frow We're glad you've joined us but wish it were under better circumstances.:oops: I'll leave it to more experienced folks to confirm, but I don't think the comb will re-grow. I've never experienced the loss of a comb so I am not really sure.:confused:

What do you mean by crown? Was it a crested breed or do you mean her comb? If it's the comb then it will not grow back and should be treated with antibiotic ointment at the very least to prevent infection. If it was a crest then it will likely grow back.

To ensure the bird's safety and recovery, separate her from the rest of the flock until she heals and grows back her feathers. It's best to keep her own space within the coop so she remains in contact with the other hens but they can't hurt her. This will make it much easier on her when the time comes to reintroduce her to the flock.

Back
Top Bottom