Chicken announcing her first egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by henney, Oct 28, 2008.

1. henney

henney Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2008
    Reno Nevada
    I have a question. My RHR layed her first tiny brown egg 2 days ago in the nest box and BOK BOKed at the top of her lungs announching her proud moment. Today I heard the same announcement but didn't find a egg in her box. She was in the backyard with the rest of the girls. Do they make this loud noise even if they don't lay?

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

She is probably announcing that is GOING to lay an egg. Most of mine yell their fool heads off before they lay, even if it is a day or two!

3. LilBizzy

LilBizzy Chicken Storyteller

May 20, 2008
    Maryland
    Most of my chickens sit in the nest for almost an hour while laying their eggs.I have one that runs around the yard yelling for an hour before she goes to lay her egg. Its like a dog running around looking for that perfect spot. The funny thing is, she goes in, lays the egg within minutes, then runs back out again. I actually witnessed it once. It was unbelievable.

4. henney

henney Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2008
    Reno Nevada
    That's good to know since this is my first experience with the girls laying. I might be presented with a egg today then!

5. nakactress

nakactress Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2008
    Utah
    I have one scratching like crazy right now and almost purring/growling in the nest box. She's been in their for about 1/2 hour now and her buddy has been pacing back and forth under her. her buddy started laying 2 days ago.

This morning i found another egg in the coop and picked up the egg, talked to them how the eggs are to be laid in the nest box and set the egg in one of the boxes. 3 of the "of age" girls started inspecting the egg in the box and now one of them is in it. her rear end is shaking so I'm assuming an egg is coming.

6. nakactress

nakactress Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2008
    Utah
    I had to come back and announce she finally laid her 1st egg. So I was right in assuming all that nest scratching, purring and butt shaking was her 1st time laying an egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by