Chicken Antibiotics

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by conroydawn, Apr 9, 2016.

1. conroydawn

conroydawn New Egg

Apr 9, 2016
    The vet just gave our chicken Tobramycin antibiotic for an eye ulcer/infection. He said we could no longer eat her eggs. Anyone heard of this? I read that if we wait at least 21 days we can resume eating the eggs.

2. SeaChickens

SeaChickens Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    I was told by an expert chicken vet that he recommends throwing out eggs for 30 days after all antibiotics. He said some had shorter times but to make it easy and safest he goes with 30 days. He prescribed Tylosin (Tylan) for my hen at the time. Another vet also told me 30 days after giving my hen Amoxicillin.

I don't think most antibiotics are FDA approved for use in egg -laying hens but you can often google the drug name and "poultry" and find studies where they tested eggs to see how long drug residue showed up in them. Generally it seems like it should be safe after a few weeks but you have to decide for yourself. And definitely don't eat them if you or someone in your family has any allergies to the antibiotic.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by