Chicken antibiotics

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kaybay134, Mar 11, 2018.

1. Kaybay134

Kaybay134 Hatching

Mar 10, 2018
    My hen won't walk, eat or drink. Does anyone know where I can get some antibiotics online? If so, which one?

2. azygous

azygous Crossing the Road

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Amoxicillin is a good all purpose, broad spectrum antibiotic. Fish meds work fine for chickens and don't require a prescription. The daily dose is 250mg for a standard adult chicken. So you would need to divide this 500mg pill in half. I used to get 250mg amoxicillin from this place, https://www.kvsupply.com/item/thomas-labs-fish-mox-forte-500mg-x-100ct/P01800/ but they quit carrying it. They also carry other meds.

3. Kaybay134

Kaybay134 Hatching

Mar 10, 2018
    How should I give this to her? She won't eat or drink much

4. are you sure the chicken needs antibiotics? what is the diagnoses? the reason they arent readily available is because people use them too much when they arent needed and have contributed to the development of superbugs

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  5. Kaybay134

Kaybay134 Hatching

Mar 10, 2018
    No I am not certain, however yesterday she was open mouth breathing and now she is unable to walk. She won't eat or drink much either. I posted a different thread earlier but didn't get much of a response. uch

6. azygous

azygous Crossing the Road

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Why don't you go back to your original thread and post an update with more information? It will get more responses than trying to start all over.

I buy enough antibiotics for a couple of years to keep on hand in the event a chicken takes suddenly sick. Valuable time can be saved by keeping some in the fridge.

7. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I pulled some of your information from your other thread - sometimes it's helpful for us to see what symptoms you have reported. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-hen-wont-walk-eat-or-drink.1226488/

I agree with @1cock2hens it's hard to know if she needs antibiotics when you don't know what is wrong with her.
    Photos of the poop and of her may also be helpful.

You mentioned loose stools, open mouth breathing, lethargy, not eating/drinking and wheezing - let me know if I missed something.

How long have you had her?
    How does her crop feel-is it emptying overnight?
    The wheezing - is it still there? Any other symptoms like mucous from the nostrils, runny eyes, coughing, sneezing?
    Have you check her over for any external parasites?
    Do the legs seem paralyzed or numb - or is she weak and not able to walk?

Do what you can to keep her hydrated. If you have poultry vitamins like Poultry Nutri-Drench, get some of those into her. After she is hydrated, then offer food.

With those symptoms and her age, I would also be considering disease like Marek's. Having a fecal float is also a good idea.

Hopefully with more information, we can give you better suggestions.

casportpony, 1cock2hens and azygous like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: