chicken appetite

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kindergartenchick, Aug 15, 2008.

1. kindergartenchick

kindergartenchick New Egg

Jun 29, 2008
    rockmart georgia
    How much do your chickens eat? I have six. I feed then from a one gallon feeder and it is empty by the following morning. Do they really eat that much or are they hiding somewhere for a midnight snack?[​IMG]

2. Chickaroo!

Chickaroo! Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2007
    Mine are now about 17wks old and they eat almost the entire feeder full of food in about 1 1/2 days. I have 6. So, I believe they just eat alot because they are growing [​IMG]

3. kindergartenchick

kindergartenchick New Egg

Jun 29, 2008
    rockmart georgia
    Mine are about 13 or 14 weeks old. this is my first time raising chicks. We hatched them in my classroom and I decided to keep some. How could they possibly eat that much with those tiny stomachs? Of course I say the same thing about my 6 year old daughter:D

4. SandraMort

SandraMort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    ny
    That's why the expression ":eating like a bird" is SO FUNNY -- some birds eat their own weight in food a day!

5. EngieKisses

EngieKisses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2008
    Collinsville, Oklahoma
    Ours do not seem to eat that much but it could be the scraps, and grass too. We have 5 gallon feeder and I never fill it all the way and it takes them several days to eat a third of it. There are ten of them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by