Chicken Aprons??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Jasmine1998, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Jasmine1998

Jasmine1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2010
    Montgomery County
    Can anyone recommend a good chicken apron/back protector? We have a very large rooster (dark brahma) & 7 normal sized hens. One hen is bigger than the rest & Bob won't leave her alone. He is very gentle but from the over breeding she is starting to lose a lot lof her feathers. He does not like to breed the other hens as much because he is so big he falls off of the other ones. Any suggestions?

2. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

Well other than getting a smaller rooster...really the aprons work great! I have ordered the regular ones and the ones with the wing protectors from another BYC member thinking I would follow her pattern and then make my own...LOL--she is so reasonable and does such a good job that I just continue to order more! OK--I had the name and now it is GONE! (perils of nearing 50 I guess!) Do a search or look on the auction page...you will find her. My chickens do not mind them at all; in fact I think it makes them feel "special" that they have dresses and some others dont. The best thing is that their feathers grow back pretty quickly after they have a dress! Terri O

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Look under the auctions (everything else) section. The aprons are often sold there by one or two different people...

ETA: The ones I bought were from lovemychix, and were very well made....

Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
  4. Jasmine1998

Mar 14, 2010
    Montgomery County
    Getting rid of Bob is not an option...he is the most awesome rooster ever...little kids can go over & bear hug him & he does not even make a fuss..after having 1 mean rooser, I am holding on to this one, lol. I will definitely check out the aprons in the live auctions...Thanks!

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

My Lacey wears a chicken shawl. Here she is adjusting its fit, the first time she wore it.
    [​IMG]

She's worn it 24/7 for weeks now. Feathers are growing back nicely!
    [​IMG]

6. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    My girls all had to wear aprons all of the summer due to overenthusiastic boys.
    They worked very well and the hens did not even seem to notice them.

7. Tinkspirit70

Tinkspirit70 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2010
    Central Fla
    I just ordered three from Lovemychix, she is on here..they were very nicely made and very reasonable in price..you can choose your color/pattern too! I got three gorgeous ones!! She puts snaps on them too which makes it very easy to put on the hens :eek:) Good luck!

8. Jasmine1998

Mar 14, 2010
    Montgomery County
    I will definitely have to order some aprons this year...and some Brahma hens for Bob next year, lol.

gryeyes - Very pretty girl!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by