Chicken are bugging me

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Americano Blue, Aug 27, 2014.

  1. Americano Blue

    Americano Blue Mush on!

    17,683
    138
    316
    Apr 14, 2014
    Hello Spring
    My Coop
    so i know this is a much asked question, but I'm gonna ask it again.
    so my chickens stopped laying! I have seven 2year old hens, who have been laying up until 5 days ago. They have also been eating less, other then that they seem healthy. My chicken run is next to the duck run and my hens and my ducks are BFF's. i recently added a new duck and there is less day light... HELP
     
  2. ChickenCanoe

    ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

    22,328
    3,540
    506
    Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    2 year old, 3 year old, 4 year old, 5 year old, ad infinitum hens take a break to replace their winter coat and rejuvenate their reproductive tract every autumn (sometimes late summer, sometimes early winter). It's what all hens do. Moreover, it's what they have to do, as they have for many millennia.

    That's why egg farms use super egg hybrids, let them lay for 18 months with a precise lighting program and send them to Campbell's for soup and replace them with new pullets.
     
  3. Americano Blue

    Americano Blue Mush on!

    17,683
    138
    316
    Apr 14, 2014
    Hello Spring
    My Coop
    thats sad
     
  4. texaspolloloco

    texaspolloloco Out Of The Brooder

    62
    3
    33
    Jun 25, 2014
    Georgetown TX
    That is sad!
     
  5. Americano Blue

    Americano Blue Mush on!

    17,683
    138
    316
    Apr 14, 2014
    Hello Spring
    My Coop
    So do you think my birds are just doing the winter coat thing?
     
  6. ChickenCanoe

    ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

    22,328
    3,540
    506
    Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    It is sad but the result of a mostly urban populace that has to be fed by large scale farming. It wasn't like that in the 1800s. Of the over 300 million people in the US, only 1% claim to be farmers. Somebody has to feed the other 99% and most of that food comes from large scale on farm production. The state of Iowa alone has 50 million hens on egg farms. They are constantly replaced to feed all those urbanites and suburbanites.

    Good chance.
     
  7. Americano Blue

    Americano Blue Mush on!

    17,683
    138
    316
    Apr 14, 2014
    Hello Spring
    My Coop
    i farm [​IMG]
     
  8. ChickenCanoe

    ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

    22,328
    3,540
    506
    Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    You're in the 1%, not the Trump/Romney 1% though. [​IMG]
     
  9. Americano Blue

    Americano Blue Mush on!

    17,683
    138
    316
    Apr 14, 2014
    Hello Spring
    My Coop
    lol.
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by