Chicken ate 2 small screws!

LadycluckChickenprincess

In the Brooder
Oct 13, 2019
The little ramp of our new chicken coop broke when our Chicken walked up. I heard flapping and went out to see her frantically pecking up two shiny screws! I could not get there in time to get them away from her. Any advice? Can they pass these? I had chickens for 10 years prior to this and don't think any of them ever ate a screw. She seems fine, but the tips are sharp. Thank you in advance for any advice or tips.

Yes, this is a critical emergency. She needs treatment immediately even if she's gone to sleep. Wake her up and dose her with a tablespoon of castor oil or coconut oil. The danger is that the sharp screws can perforate her crop or intestines causing internal bleeding.

You want to get plenty of oil into her to make things slick enough to float the screws out of her. The smaller they are, the better chance she has of passing them safely. The thicker the oil, the better job it will do protecting delicate tissues, so castor oil is preferred.

If you have to, give her a dose of whatever oil you have on hand immediately, then make a run to the store for the castor oil and dose her again in an hour. Hopefully, you will see the screws in her poop by morning and she'll live to tell her grand-baby chicks the story.

Previously on this forum, there was a very sick chicken. If I recall, the chicken died, and the body was sent for necropsy. They found a virtual hardware store in her gizzard. Paper clips, screws, etc. She obviously had a condition called pica - craving for metal. I agree with @penny1960 that taking her to a vet for X-rays would be a very good idea to find out if she has more than the two screws in her.

Back
Top Bottom