Chicken ate a baby lizard!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by cukuriku, Aug 22, 2016.

1. cukuriku

cukuriku Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2016
    I imagine that this isn't totally crazy, but being that this is something totally new in their food interests, I figured I'll ask, even though it's a source of protein which shouldn't harm them. I have plenty of lizards naturally crawling around here (Israel) so it would be useful to know. If it's no harm whatsoever, should I catch them as well to feed it to them? Is it just ok every now and then?

2. KoopOnTruckin

KoopOnTruckin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2016
    East Orlando, FL
    I live in Florida and we also have a ton of lizards. My chickens eat them whenever they can find and catch them. No harm to the chickens at all - it's part of the free-range foraging circle of life. Since we have a ton of bugs in FL, I prefer that my chickens not eat the lizards so that they can continue assisting with the bug problem. I guess it would be up to you whether you want your lizards to become food or stay around to do their job.

3. cukuriku

cukuriku Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2016
    Lol well, I guess they don't take care of swarms of ants, nor do they take care of the ground-digging hornets and massive wasps that live in our backyard tree, they're all really annoying in this season and the lizards aren't doing that much good, so I guess I don't mind if from time to time they eat a lizard or two. Btw, this time my son found it and caught it, and tossed it into the run, and oh my was that hen excited-swallowed it whole!! [​IMG] So I guess that'll be the fate of the lizards in the yard from now on...thanks for the help!

4. GC-Raptor

GC-Raptor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2016
    Connecticut, U.S.A.
    A couple of days ago, I was in the the pen and noticed a small toad, about the size of a large grape with legs. I let it be. Two hens see it and investigate, but leave it be. A third sees it and in two seconds she swallowed it. The only thing I catch for them are insects if I happen to see one or see a hen eyeballing one that's out of her reach. GC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by