1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Chicken ate a piece of Chicken bone..

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sandesnow, Jul 26, 2014.

1. sandesnow

sandesnow Songster

Nov 20, 2013
    Nova Scotia Canada
    So..I am kinda freaking out. My cat. No wait, let me back up. The naughty cat stole a chicken leg, (intended to be cooked.. took our eye off of them and the little thief stole it!) ate most of it, and crunched up the bone into small pieces. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw the kids letting the chickens out just as I realized what had happened.. before I could get to the bone fragments, one of my hens snatched up a piece the size of a thumb nail and gulped it down faster than you could blink!

What do I do? Will it digest?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    So, the chicken was uncooked, correct? If so, much less of an issue as uncooked bone is relatively soft -- it is when it has been cooked that they become brittle, sharp and dangerous. Chicky should be okay.

3. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    Colorado
    My Coop
    Chickens surprisingly can eat many things that aren't edible! My hen ate a pony tail this year. Make sure she has grit.

4. sandesnow

sandesnow Songster

Nov 20, 2013
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Correct. Uncooked.

I have been keeping an eye on her and she seems fine. I will continue to do so. Lately, it seems like they try to eat every little thing! Having two boys, I am always scouring the yard for anything that they could eat that would be bad. lol Boys are so destructive. >.<

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: