Chicken Ate Amdro Ant Bait 20 Minutes ago! Help!

ck-newbe

In the Brooder
9 Years
Dec 2, 2010
Boone, NC
One of our birds just ate Amdro Ant Bait (granular home perimeter stuff) (active ingredient: hydramethylnon). 2 yr old Bard Rock hen. She is 2 - 3 kg. The LD50 for the product is >5000 mg/kg body weight. I don't know how much she ate, but I'm guessing 5 - 15 g... which ranges from probably harmless to a possibly lethal dose. What should I do? Can I induce vomiting? Just wait and see? She seems just fine right now.

Thanks for your advice!

Hey guys,
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll put poison control on our fridge. Charcoal does sound interesting... I may get some activated charcoal in case this ever comes up again. It's been almost two hours and she is still out scratching a pecking like any other chicken. I read somewhere that chickens digest their food in approx. 20 min to 2 hours (I have no idea if this is true... thoughts?). Anyway, if so, the ant bait should already be in her system. So, we'll just keep an eye on her. I will try to get a balance to weigh out how much she ate, just to know for future reference.

My DH had put the foil from a tea candle full of bait next to our house. One of the girls hopped over the four foot fence around the run and chowed down. So far so good.

I'll post back in a few days with how much she ate and how it turns out.

Thanks!

I hope she continues to do well! Thanks for being willing to check back and let us know. We all can learn from it :)

What ever became of this for you? My pullets are not free-range, rather until they're a bit bigger and hardier will be living in their currently enclosed area. However, without thinking about it, I sprinkled Amdro Ant Block all around my property for obvious reasons. Then I thought "what if the birds peck up the ants while they're carrying the poison!?"
😲
Thanks in advance!

Back
Top Bottom