1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken ate earphone buds...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mimi2012, Jan 15, 2013.

1. mimi2012

mimi2012 Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2012
    One of my chickens ate earphone buds thats made out of silicone (probably), both left and right side.
    Does someone know if the chicken will be okay? Will it pass through?

Thanks in advance!!!

2. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    It will probably pass through. Mine got into silicone caulking that was being removed and apparently looked like worms and they weren't harmed. Watch for signs of crop impaction.

3. linkedsilas

linkedsilas Out Of The Brooder

Dec 23, 2011
    Durham,NC
    mine ate some latex paint once
    went right through

4. moni123

moni123 New Egg

Nov 18, 2012
    mine ate the following products...and still alive!

• RUBBERBANDS
    • WOOD PIECE
    • PLASTIC
    • MEAT
    • GLASS PIECE
    • TOOTHPAST
    AND NOTHING HAPPEND AT ALL.....
    :)

5. debid

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Toothpaste?! You do know that chickens don't have teeth, right?

I'm forever picking up bits of stuff in the yard because they don't seem to mind that things aren't food. One of the regular visitors keeps tossing cigarette butts and I worry that I'll miss one. Wish I could catch him/her and tell them to stop. I suspect the mail carrier...

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Oh yeah, the cig butts. Also metal nuts and small screws, pieces of baling twine, glass, whole half grown mice, and enough styrafoam to ship an entire entertainmant center! No problems. Also had a puppy eat a chicken leg with a fish hook. Dog lived four more years.

7. debid

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Ugh -- our brilliant dog ate a razor blade he found in the garage when he was a puppy. Hubby saw him eat something and found a piece of the blade on the floor (he'd chewed it into 3 pieces). He had an x-ray and surgery. Thank goodness for the "free sample" pet insurance we had. Nobody gave us insurance for the chickens, though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by