Chicken ate glass..

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CedarAcres, Aug 13, 2013.

1. CedarAcres

CedarAcres Sunny Side Up

Mar 18, 2013
    Connecticut
    My Coop
    One of our golden comets ate some glass. We have SO much glass on our property, no idea what it's even from. I pick up any pieces I find (which is everyday) but especially after rain, it seems like there are new pieces shining everywhere. I've seen ground up glass in gizzards after slaughtering so I know it's possible for it to move through but she isn't acting right. I can feel an obstruction in her crop and it feels like it could be the piece of glass. I check their crops regularly out of habit so I know what they normally feel like and this "object" feels very odd. The only thing I can think of is the glass. Her crop is not emptying normally either.

I've been thinking to just treat it the same way I'd treat an impacted crop or sour crop, but I'd love some advice if anyone has any! She is trying to drink a lot, I'm guessing to help it pass along. The water is passing through but no food. She is not eating much either. This happened last night and her crop was full this morning on the roost. She never even got off the roost this morning & just laid her egg there without moving. She's currently in the house so she can get some peace & quiet & I can keep an eye on her.

2. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
  3. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Have a look at this link,Post #2 see if this may help.

www.backyardchickens.com/t/814446/glass-in-crop

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  4. CedarAcres

CedarAcres Sunny Side Up

Mar 18, 2013
    Connecticut
    My Coop
    Thanks for the links! So far I've treated it like an impacted crop. I can't feel the piece in there that I felt earlier today, so I was hoping that it moved on to the gizzard. I feel less in her crop overall, so I'm hoping its going to empty overnight. I know I caught this issue right away, so I'm hoping she'll be fine. I'll update tomorrow with how she is. I really am getting SO sick of all the glass on our property though. It must be old because my family has owned this property since the 60's. I'm surprised I haven't gotten a big piece in my foot yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by