Chicken ate house lizard! Harmful?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Swastik Choudhari, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Swastik Choudhari

Swastik Choudhari Songster

Feb 23, 2018
    So i was just doing my daily routine . i spotted that my chickens have hunted two lizards. They were running around with it and other chickens running to catch the chicken. Later they caught another lizard. While doing this running thing they just breaked the two lizard in pieces and eveyone ate the small chicks too. My question is, is it harmful?

Attached Files:

Kris5902 and Chick-N-Fun like this.
  2. fldiver97

fldiver97 Crossing the Road

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    My Coop
    They should be just fine. My chickens eat mice and frogs if they spot them....

3. Swastik Choudhari

Swastik Choudhari Songster

Feb 23, 2018
    :fl:weethankz for the reply

Chick-N-Fun likes this.
  4. blackdog043

blackdog043 Crowing

Feb 19, 2017
    Charlotte, NC
    They will be fine, wait until you see them slurp a small snake down. If their able to roam your yard, you never know what they may find to eat.

5. Chick-N-Fun

Chick-N-Fun Almy Acres Farm

Jun 26, 2014
    Corning, NY
    Chickens eat the darndest things! One time, we moved an old shed and there was a nest of baby mice.....the momma mouse ran off and my flock ate the babies in an instant!!!!!!! :sick:lau

6. SKYLINE

SKYLINE Songster

OMG, that's brutal! Then again probably for the best lol. I had no idea that chickens were such predators. :sick Good to know though surely they will have fun with all the tiny critters I see in my backyard. Gonna give the crickets that hang out by the back door a heads up.

7. Chick-N-Fun

Chick-N-Fun Almy Acres Farm

Jun 26, 2014
    Corning, NY
    Chickens are birds of prey and predators. There is a thread on here somewhere where someone’s chickens killed a neighbor’s puppy! :eek: They really are little dinosaurs! :lau

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  8. Amatsuhono

Amatsuhono Chirping

Oct 30, 2018
    San Benito, TX
    My son was very pleased to tell his cousins that he has 12 miniature t-rexes. I definitely can't argue the point, especially after I saw them kill and eat a small diamondback rattlesnake.... my wyandottes are beasts.

9. Crazy for Chickens!

Crazy for Chickens! And Nuts For Horses!

Jun 9, 2017
    NW Missouri
    They will be fine. My chickens eat snakes.

You post says: 'and everyone ate the small chicks too'. Is this just a mis-type, or did your chickens really eat your chicks?

10. Sunshine_Chick

Sunshine_Chick Songster

Feb 11, 2019
    Northeast Florida
    I had no idea they ate snakes. That must be why I didn't see any baby snakes this year. In the past I have always had baby racers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: