Chicken ate mood ring!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Live Oak Farms 01, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Live Oak Farms 01

Live Oak Farms 01 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2011
    1) What type of bird , age and weight. Cinnamon Queen, 7 weeks,
    2) What is the behavior, exactly. Not active, laying down
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? 20 mins.
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No.
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No.
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. Chicken pulled a mood ring off finger and ate it.
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. As usual,
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Good Normal.
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Gave chick grit to help with digestion.
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? I don't know.
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. No, sorry.
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use Pine shavings from TSC,

Please help!

2. ailurophile23

ailurophile23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2010
    VA
    My first thought is, if the chicken just ate the mood ring, you may be able to flush the crop and get it to come back out. But you would have to be very cautious and make sure you are doing no extra damage in bringing it back up. If it has been a while since the chicken ate it, I would contact a vet ASAP. You may want to do that any way. Good luck!

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  3. Live Oak Farms 01

Jun 2, 2011
    Quote:She now seems to be doing ok, and if she really did eat it, how soon would it start to show, or when could she die?

4. ailurophile23

ailurophile23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2010
    VA
    When exactly did the chicken eat the mood ring? I really have no idea how soon symptoms would start to show or how long it might take to kill her or if it might pass through. I suspect it could cause a blockage in the crop but I really have no experience with chickens eating such things. Hopefully some of the experts on here will see this and answer soon.

5. danischi24

danischi24 Loves naked pets

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    You say "if she swallowed it" so are you not sure if she did or not?

6. BuffaloWings

BuffaloWings Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2010
    Oklahoma
    She ate the whole thing, or just the color changing stone off it? I can't see a 7 week old being able to take a ring off a finger, but stranger things have happened. If she just got the stone, it may not pose any problems at all. It may end up in the gizzard being hard and stone like and may act like grit. If it doesn't it may just pass on through. You could try some olive oil to help lube things up and help it slide on down the "chute". If it is the whole ring I would still use olive oil and maybe some cheap red wine. It can help "unbind" a impacted crop. Either way I wish you the best! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  7. Live Oak Farms 01

Jun 2, 2011
    Quote:She ate it about 12:00pm today.

8. Live Oak Farms 01

Jun 2, 2011
    Quote:I saw one chicken take it off and another chicken take it from the first and I didn't see all of this but, she was trying to eat it. I looked back her way and it was gone. I looked all over the coop and run, no ring.

9. Live Oak Farms 01

Jun 2, 2011
    Quote:Thanks! It was not a stiff metal one, it was plastic beads strung onto plastic thread, with the color changing bead in the middle. The color changing bead had metal init

10. Buugette

Buugette [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Cra

May 26, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    I would be very surprised if a 7 week old was able to swallow a ring. You may be lucky and it is just burried in the coop...

I hope it all comes out well in the end.

D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by