Chicken Ate Part of a Plastic Bag

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Barry Natchitoches, Jan 2, 2010.

1. Barry Natchitoches

Barry Natchitoches Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    Tennessee
    My wife was too late to stop it: my six year old daughter was out in the back yard eating a sandwich wrapped in plastic wrap. She tore the plastic off, and dropped it on the ground right near the grazing chickens. The way she tore the plastic, it was in several pieces.

Before I could stop him, our fourteen week old cockerel grabbed the largest piece of this plastic wrap -- about 4 inches by 4 inches, I guess, and ate it. I mean, he just sucked it into his beak and ate it.

What will happen to him? Will this kill him? Cause his crop to become infected?

Or will it just get ground up in his crop and gizzard and eventually pass out of him?

Is there something I can do to help him?

2. honeydoll

honeydoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Stark County, NE Ohio
    My roo ate about a 4X4 styrofoam cube and lived then he ate part of a baggie and lived. That was about 3 mos. ago and no ill affects. Of course I'm not saying I don't care if he eats it, I just know I was worried about mine too and he did fine. They are amazing little creatures. I would watch for an impacted crop but others with more experience will be able to help more I'm sure.

1 person likes this.
  3. fancbrd4me02

fancbrd4me02 Chillin' With My Peeps

It will probably be okay. I've seen chickens eat a lot of strage things. Once I saw chickens eating styrafoam, they ate a large block of it. No ill effects. Just wathc for signs that he is not feeling well. If he acts normal, eats, drinks & goes to the bathroom he will probably be fine.

4. Justino

Justino ♪♫ Rockin' Rooster ♪♫

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    Mine have all eaten holes in a Styrofoam cover.......and they all are still here so i dont think itll hurt him [​IMG]

5. JCoogle

JCoogle Chillin' With My Peeps

I would say it is like a kid, The worse part shoud be over since it made it all the way down. I would just pay a little closer attention the him for the next couple of days to make sure there are no problems coming out.

6. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    They do eat some bizarre things, and if you see them heading towards something they shouldn't eat, it is often too late.
    I was feeding my girls treats (cheerios) out of a little ziploc bag, when Sassy, my BO got tired of waiting and jumped up and ripped the bottom out of the bag and ate it before I could grab for it. I worried about her, but it is at least four months later, and she is fine. One of my little RIRs ate a small piece of blue painter's tape that was stuck on the bottom of a chair I was sitting in. I didn't even know it was there. She craned her neck for a moment, and her feathers stood on end, and then I guess it went down. Several months later, and she is fine, and cranky as ever.
    Just keep an eye on him.

7. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

I believe that chickens think anything they can get loose and down their throats is food! My geese are the same way...picking at anything until they destroy it or eat it! Terri O

8. tatertot

tatertot Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2013
    Im wondering the same thing...will a chicken die from eating a plastic bag?

9. Sandstorm495

Sandstorm495 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Darwin, Australia
    The usual answer most people will give is no. But it mostly depends of the size of the bag. If it is only in small strips then more than likely, it will just pass out of the chook.

10. WitchyCatlady

WitchyCatlady Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2016
    Colorado
    I just saw my chicken, Rhonda eat a 4" x 4" piece of a plastic bag. I hope she can pass it.
    :barnie

Debbie1 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by