Chicken ate rat poison, bleeding

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sgzik993, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Sgzik993

Sgzik993 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2015
    Indiana, USA
    My rhode island red ate rat poison, she is bleeding a lot. I have vitamin K1 but I need to know what dosage to give her. They are tablets. Please help

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Can you call a vet's office for info? I can't find much info except one that says to medicate for 30 days. There is a K-sol solution for water that you can google for directions. It may give mg per day dosage.

3. Sgzik993

Sgzik993 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2015
    Indiana, USA
    Thank you for your response, unfortunately, I had to put her down as blood was beginng to fill her lungs.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry for your loss. When I had a rat problem, I bought some locking rat poison boxes, putting them outside the coop and run. Just One Bite is the brand that I used, since it is supposed to be safe in case another animal eats the dead rat. I keep replacing bait as needed, but it has completely taken care of my problem, and I have never lost a chicken due to poison. My coop in in an old barn that had some tunnels underneath it, so my problem was pretty serious.

5. cutechick53

cutechick53 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2013
    Arizona
    Aw man I feel so bad for you! What a terrible thing to have happen. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by