Chicken attack from weasle

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by princessthelmared, Nov 11, 2007.

1. princessthelmared

princessthelmared Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2007
    NH
    Another question....Our chick is still out of it, but seems as though she is slightly improving. There appears to be maybe just nerve damage in her neck although she is starting to move it a little. She will protest by flapping her wings and moving around slightly. We are giving her the electrolytes. Should I attempt to make a mash out of some layer mash? Should I continue with this route or am I just being foolish to think she may come around? I obviously dont want her to suffer. Is there anything else we can do?

How long and how often can I give the electrolytes?

If this is nerve damage will it repair itself?

The Vets said there wasnt much hope, but I really think there is an improvement.

She is opening her eyes more than yesterday.

2. princessthelmared

Nov 9, 2007
    NH
    Bump! Can someone advise me on this? Thanks if you can!

3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Princess....im not really sure the intensity of the damage done by the weasle....however....you might want to hard boil an egg, and crumble the yolk...give that to her. Maybe some liquid baby vitamins...and keep up the electrolytes. Make sure she is warm...and in a small pen/cage...to keep her still. Good luck with her....she might just surprise you. I hope she is doing better. Keep us posted.

4. princessthelmared

Nov 9, 2007
    NH
    Thanks so much for replying. I will try that. She is actually starting to try to eat on her own. She is having a tough time picking up her head, but atleast she is trying. We love our chickens and we are very sad and taking this hard. I feel it is my fault for not checking the coop and making sure it was predator safe.

Here is our Princess

[​IMG]

5. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Its NOT your fault....if that weasle wanted in, it is almost impossible to keep them out. We have a bad weasle issue here. fishy cat food, in a have a heart trap....works! Dont blame yourself...just concentrate on Princess, and getting her well.
    Sending little prayer for her recovery.

6. Freebie

Freebie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Bloomingdale, MI
    I would keep her warm and in the dark. I would definately offer her some of the hard boiled egg. And I would do this a few times a day.

So, is there a visible wound on her neck or head that you can see? If so, have you tended to the wound?

I really don't know how to look for any internal damage. I know that my Maggie, survived a pretty brutal dog attack. I kept her separted till her feathers were growing in nicely.

I kept her in the dark for a few days. Just took her out to check out her wounds and reapply any ointment that she might have needed.

As far as you being foolish by not putting her down. You are the only one who knows if she is improving, just use your best judgement. We will support you in whatever you decide.

7. princessthelmared

Nov 9, 2007
    NH
    Thank you both. She has just a small bite mark under her chin area. I'm boiling an egg as we speak. She really does appear to be doing better because she is trying to eat. Do you think its possible that she is just still in shock from the attack? This is our first set of chickens so I really dont know much about them although reading through these posts I'm learing a ton of things I just never knew. What a great site and such a wealth of information. I'm glad I stumbled onto it.

8. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

I would say she is DEFINATELY in shock, and keeping her warm is the BEST thing for her. I just nursed a Hen back from a terrible dog attack. When the neighbors little girl brought her to me to "fix" I was thinking there was NO WAY she would live. Her insides were hanging outside under her wing. Well....that was a few weeks ago, and now Big Red is up, and moveing around...and loveing life! Your hen just might surprise you too! Keep her warm....make sure she is drinking, and eating and watch for infection in the bite area. Maybe put a little neosporin on her wound. Thats what I did. Good luck with her.

9. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi, she looks like such a sweety, just use your intuition and if you feel she is improving just keep doing what you are doing .
    Ive had vets give a bad prognosis yet they come through sometimes. Just be positive and give her all the lovin you can.
    Im sure that others will read this and hop on to help too.
    Ill say a prayer for you both!
    Hugs
    Helen

10. Freebie

Freebie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Bloomingdale, MI
    I really don't have alot of experience with them myself. Just my own personel experiences. I have a bird, her name is Lucky. She is just 1 1/2 years old. Last year when she was just a young pullet, she was attacked by a coon. It totally messed up her wing. I did not even bring her inside. I just left her out in the coop and cleaned the wound twice a day, sprayed blue kote on it and put some antibiotics in her water. Her wing was tore up pretty good. She survived. Her name is Lucky. This year she was attacked by my daughters dog. And she was actually attacking back, but my brother intervened in time to save her. She had a few puncture wounds and her leg was hurt pretty good. She got separated for about a week, then back in the general popluation she went.

Then Maggie got attacked over a month ago. She was separted for about a month. but her wound was huge. Almost her entire back. Missing feathers, four puncture wounds and a big chunk of meat just missing from her back. And she go maggots, I had to clean them out and give her antibiotics and ointment. my husband wanted me to put her down. but I was sure she would make it. She had no name till then. Thats how she got the name Maggie. But if I truely thought it better I would have put her down.

I just read alot of what happens here and do whats best for me. I know there I some things I would never be able to do. But I never thought I would spend 1/2 an hour digging maggots out of a chicken wound either. The things we do for the love of chicken. Still amazes me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by