Chicken attacked 3 days ago is now yawning, is this normal?!

I already suggested Tylan 50 which is an antibiotic. It's injectable, but can be given orally using a dosage syringe. 1/2 ml for every 5 lbs. of weight, 1/4 ml for 2.5 lbs. of weight. Tilt the head up a little, open the mouth, and slowly squirt some medication in the left side of the bird's mouth, facing the bird. Release the head, and gently stroke the throat. When it swallows, repeat until all the medication has been given. Don't get it into the hole in the middle, since that goes into the lungs.
5533562.jpg

Use Neosporin, or any triple antibiotic ointment WITHOUT pain reliever on any gashes, but not in the eye. The skin will regranulate, so most gashes, and holes in the skin will heal up in time.

Also tylan 50 says it's for cattle and swine only, but it's okay for chickens?
Good advice from @getaclue I agree, trauma/injury are likely the cause for the yawning. Since you don't know what attacked her, she could have internal injuries as mentioned. Fox/Coyote/Dog squeeze and crush as their victim struggles. If you can post a video of that, it would be good (upload videos to youtube, then provide us a link)

Do you have photos of the wounds? Are the wounds healing? Are they infected?

Keeping her hydrated is most important, if you have them add poultry vitamins or electrolytes to the water for a few days.

As for your question about Tylan50 - yes that is the one to use for poultry. Tylan50 has a wide dosage of range of 10-40mg/kg given 2-3times a day for 5days. It can be used for infection due to wounds and for respiratory infection.

Procaine Penicillin G and Amoxicillin can also be used for infected wounds. Pen G can be found at feed stores like Tractor supply and Amoxicillin can be ordered online.

Original OP Have you checked her wounds for fly strike? Flies are attracted to wounds and will lay eggs in it. The ensuring maggots will start devouring damaged tissue. When that runs out they attack normal flesh, and can spread deep through the body - wrecking damage eventually to the brain. Please check her wounds well, if you see any sign of maggots, you can help flush them out with hydrogen peroxide, it bubbles up and maggots will come out.

If they do, continue flushing her wounds until you no longer see any maggots. To be safe, she still should see a vet in case an antibiotic is necessary. During this time please keep her inside to prevent more.

Lula Bell it is really best if you start your own thread on this forum. It gets confusing answering more than one person & the advice may be wrong for someone else.

If you delete your post and repost as your own thread, you will receive attention directed at your bird.

Piggybacking on this thread....I’m new to chicken treatment as well and have a girl with a torn vent. I purchased this antibiotic from the vet for our pigs....is it suitable for chickens as well? If so do you I recommend I give my girl a dose to help with her tear?
Procaine Penicillin G dosage is 1/4ml given into the breast muscle 1/4"deep once a day for 4days. Use a 20guage needle and alternate sides daily.

Getaclue, i just went back and read your first response and saw that you did recommend tylan50... My bad, i must have been frazzled and not paying enough attention... I'll be picking some up asap when i get off work. I will try to get a video of her "yawning" and of her wounds now (5 days later). I check her wounds twice daily (morning and evening) and they dont appear to be infected or have any flies/fly eggs. It was recommended to me to use blue cote (probably spelled that wrong) but now that i did I'm regretting it because it doesn't seem like new tissue will be able to form due to the layer of sealant it creates. I flushed her wounds with sterile saline prior to spraying the blue cote to make sure there was no large pieces of debris. There is no drainage or foul odor from her wound at this time. Her eye (or lack thereof) was draining some pus-like material but I have been flushing the socket with the vetericyn poultry wound spray and it has looked a lot less swollen and has no drainage. I did put some neosporin on it to keep it from getting overrun with bacteria. I will try to post a picture of the wound prior to spraying with the blue crap... I mean cote... It is under her right wing.

0718180326_HDR.jpg

This is her, now non-existent, eye... Some feathers were torn from her chest but there were no wounds there. Just the one under her wing and a few superficial scratches here and there. I want to say this was a raccoon attack but i truly don't know for sure.

I think I'd cut adhesive tape, and notch it to make one, or two butterfly bandages, and pull the skin at the center of the gash a bit closer together, for now. That way you can still get Neosporin into the wound. For future reference, instead of flushing a wound with saline solution, which burns, Betadine Skin Solution works much better, and doesn't burn. Eyes are the exception. Eyes should be flushed with saline solution, not Betadine. I also posted a link for an antibiotic ointment that's made specifically to be used in the eyes. Yes, do give the Tylan 50 orally.

Back
Top Bottom