Chicken attacked and in shock. Please help :( GRAPHIC

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DownARiver12, Jul 29, 2014.

1. DownARiver12

DownARiver12 Chirping

Jul 29, 2014
    Hi, I have had a small backyard flock of about 15 mixed breed chickens for about 5 years and I acquired a livestock guardian dog about a year ago after losing a bunch of birds to hawks. They have a coop and a large scratch yard and during the afternoon, I let them out with my LGD, Daisy, who has been great with them up until yesterday. For some unknown reason she attacked and killed all but one of them yesterday afternoon while I was away for a couple hours. The one that I found was alive just laying in the yard next to all of her coopmate's bodies. She is ripped up pretty bad though. Her fat layer is exposed on her back and she has several bite holes along her back. I rinsed her back immediately with iodine and sprayed her with antiseptic and wrapped her up in a towel and put her in my warmest room. She is alive but dies not look well. She is kind of wheezing when she breathes and her head is hanging low and her comb is reddish purple. I am so upset and feel so guilty. I really am at a loss for words of what happened with my dog. It's like she snapped. I left the house for 3 hours and she was quietly laying with the birds like she always did.

Before I cleaned her up. The blue color is bluekote which we sprayed after we washed her with iodine initially and then this afternoon I debrided her back better and cut feathers. She seemed "okay" and I mean okay in the worst term possible but after I cleaned her she started the breathing hard. I kept her away from water and food last night when I found her because her crop was full. She pooped last night, too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After cleaning today...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Covered it with vetricyn and neosporin
    [​IMG]

Any help or thoughts would be so greatly appreciated.

2. Fowl Momma

Fowl Momma In the Brooder

May 13, 2014
    Indian River, Michigan
    I'm so sorry. Also very sorry I don't know how to help you. I had a hawk attack my chickens today and I'm kind of in the same boat as you. It tore her leg up badly and tore out most of her feathers on her neck and back. It also stuck one of its talons in her back. I took her to the vet and she's fixed up, 6 stich on her leg and antibiotics on her back. She won't do anything but lay down. I'm afraid she won't make it. It's crazy how much you can love a chicken. It sounds like you're doing everything right. I pray she'll heal and be your pride and joy.

3. Sseckel

Sseckel Songster

Oct 20, 2013
    Homestead, IA
    I am so sorry that you are dealing with this. I had the exact same thing happen 2weeks ago. Our GSHP killed 5 of my 6 hens. I know it looks dire right now but you bird can survive. I healed one with a silimar injury back this spring. She was bullied by another hen but within a day her entire back was picked open and the muscle tissue exposed. Keep doing what you are doing and add and antibiotic to her water. I wouldn't handle her too much unless she is very accustomed to that. Just keep her warm and water/food close by. Personally I stay away from aspirin pain relief, just because it is a blood thinner, not sure it affects chickens the same as people but I assume so and I figure it might hurt more than help. It might take a week or two but she should heal up so long as the shock doesn't get her.

4. DownARiver12

DownARiver12 Chirping

Jul 29, 2014
    Thank you and same to you. I live in a very rural area and the vet said he'd put her down for $100 and although I'd do it if it's my best choice. I just want to give her a chance if more experienced people think I should try to keep her alive.

I haven't been able to stop crying about losing all of my other babies. I felt like I was digging a real grave trying to bury all 10 of them and I know my neighbors think I'm certifiably crazy hearing me cry while I'm talking to dead chickens as I am burying them. It's so quiet now at my house which is so eery.

Maybe someone else has experience with listless chickens after a serious attack?

5. DownARiver12

DownARiver12 Chirping

Jul 29, 2014
    Ok, I'm thinking maybe my Anatolian Shepherd might be more shepherd than Anatolian. Unfortunately I love her despite what has happened and although I'm going to growl at her every time she ever so glances over at the coop I'll eventually forgive her. I guess she will have to become the protector of the crate while I am away. Stinks because she was so good with them up until now.

Has anyone ever had their livestock guardians turn into natural born chicken killers?

6. DownARiver12

DownARiver12 Chirping

Jul 29, 2014
    She died last night :( I'm thinking her lungs were punctured now because after I did the iodine rinse she started wheezing and when she died (I happen to check on her right at that moment) she started seizing and when she thrashed pus came out of her mouth which was awful and the smell was a lot more pungent than just the open wound smell if that makes any sense.

I am really sad but at least she isn't suffering anymore. She was my flighty-est chicken (Pendescenca) and I was thinking I'd probably give her a heart attack having to handle her so much now. Stinks losing them all though. I'm so upset with my dog. Don't think I'll be able to pet her for a long time.

7. Sseckel

Sseckel Songster

Oct 20, 2013
    Homestead, IA
    I am sorry. You are probably right about the lung though. Its best she isnt suffering anymore. When youre ready get back on the saddle and order some new chicks, when youre ready though. Until then hoping you can heal things over with your dog and work with her more once the new chicks arrive. From her point of view they do look like self propelled squeeky toys, it may take considerable training to change the instinct, if you can.

8. I am sorry you lost your flock. All dogs, docile and well trained, at some point can revert to their primitive instinctive drive to hunt. No breed is exempt. I raised many dogs with chickens, all well trained to leave something alone, but sometimes There drive to hunt was stronger than there will to obey. If I was present, the flock was safe, if I left and they knew I was gone on occassion they would chase the chickens and get wrapped up in the chase and their instinct to hunt took over and eventually catch one, and when they did the end was not well. I would have to kennel up any dog while I was away. Its not your fault, or the dogs fault. He is doing what comes natural to him/her. All we can do, is realize a dog only has so much human understanding, at most the intelligence of a 5 year old child, and like a child we are responsible to watch over them constantly keeping them out of trouble.

My Cochin Batnam Rooster looked like your poor little lady. It has taken him 4 months to heal, and just grew all his feathers back. He was not identifiable as a Cochin. He flew over a fence into a kennel with a neighbors basset hound who literally plucked every feather on his lower body off before he biting him leaving 8 holes in his breast and back. He has recovered, but I didn't think he was going to make it.

Don't blame yourself, or your dog. Many have learned the same way you have, and I am one of those too. If it was not my own, it was the neighbors husky that killed and mauled 32 khaki Campbell ducks in less than an hour. Best of luck, and I am sorry for your lose. I get very attached to my animals too.

1 person likes this.
  9. Fowl Momma

Fowl Momma In the Brooder

May 13, 2014
    Indian River, Michigan
    I am very sorry your girl passed away[​IMG]

10. Tatianna

Tatianna In the Brooder

May 8, 2013
    Northern New Hampshire
    I am so sorry to hear about your girls...especially the one that you were able to care for. I do understand the feeling. I lost all my girls to a weasel about a month ago.
    It was a night that I was late putting up. I of course felt incredibly guilty. My husband as well. We swore off anymore girls because it really does hurt to lose them.
    Now a month in, I am trying to hatch eggs. I have not forgotten my lesson, although everything living beckons to another species. Unfortunately the circle of life does not always break no matter how careful we have been. Forgive yourself. Learn and I hope one day you can enjoy birds again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: