Chicken attacked and left for dead

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kubotafoot, Dec 4, 2014.

1. kubotafoot

kubotafoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2014
    Burlington, Connecticut
    Buff Orpington and Copper Marran attacked today by "something" as they free ranged. Rooster has broken neck and is dead. Hen was lying on her side in snow. Could have been attacked for up to 3 hours as they free ranged..... Brought her into home which is warmer than barn. She is alert but has a gurgling sound w/ every breath. No wound injuries seen. Is the gurgling internal injuries or crop "back up" from lying on side for so long? Any suggestions. She is a beauty and I'd hate to lose her. Thanks.
    Paula in CT

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    So sorry for your loss. Is your hen still alive? I think this sounds like she could be possibly dying with her rattles, but there may be crop contents getting into her throat causing the sound. I'm glad you have her inside for warmth since she probably is in shock. Will she take any water by mouth? Please give us an update on her condition.

3. katelk

katelk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2013
    White Bluff, TN
    I have had 2 hens (different incidents) attacked and was able to save them. Usually they will lay on their side for awhile due to shock. Both instances I picked them up and held them and talked soothingly to them and they perked back up as far as not playing dead anymore.

One instance it was a hawk attack and the hen (buff Orpington) had blood pouring out her mouth. I thought she was a goner. She was gurgling. However, after awhile she stopped bleeding and was as good as new.

Second time, didn't see what happened, but hen was gurgling (no blood, wound, or anything) she was just gurgling when she breathed afterward. I separated her and was really worried, but after while it was like she calmed down and just got better. Honestly no idea what may have caused it, but apparently chickens are super resilient.
    Just keep her comfortable and with food and water and watch her. Bottom line, if it is internal injuries that will kill her, she will die and there is nothing you can do. Otherwise she will be fine. Just make sure she is comfy and stress free.

4. kubotafoot

Apr 12, 2014
    Burlington, Connecticut
    Orpington hen is much, much better, but the rooster has taken a dive for the worse and can not hold up his head or even move it and I will help him move along out of compassion. Barn count was down last night but too much ice and way too dark to see much of anything. 3 more bodies under brush and trees this morning. No sign of blood anywhere on the ground. All but one bird intact from outward appearance. Coons? No visible tracks.

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sounds like you need to bait a trap for raccoon, cuyotes, foxes, etc.and keep them locked up until you find what is getting them.

6. kubotafoot

Apr 12, 2014
    Burlington, Connecticut
    Orpington hen doing really well. Standing on her own and walking about the crate.....Eating when she wants (cooked eggs, oatmeal and squished pellets) and drinks, but I also supplement her drinking with a dropper as there was an ammonia smell from the crate and that is usually because of lack of hydration...... I have no worries she will be back out in the barn soon. Now to the Copper Marran Rooster.........He wants so badly to live. He struggles now when we pick him up and if we hold him, he eats like a fiend the same food as above, but here is the problem. He can move his head left and right and down is gravity, but has no ability to raise his head up like after a drink...... We raise it up and once it gets "just so far" he is able to continue the movement, but can't start it at all. He stands and his feet grab very strongly, but he tires easily and flops down, but then once on his side his head is just where ever it landed (left, right, under his body, under a wing....) and he looks so uncomfortable. He just falls asleep in whatever position unless we position his head for him.....and he sleeps. When he wakes, tho, he kicks his feet and flips on his back and actually looks comfortable until he wakes again and kicks his feet in the air, seemingly trying to position himself, but to no avail. Is lying on his back a problem for him? His neck is NOT broken....I think it is muscular but I am at a loss as to how to help him position his head or even what type of exercises to do with him to have him gain strength.......(and if exercises would help him, I'm for trying it!) He really has gotten stronger in the 3 days since the attack and his puncture wounds are healing nicely, as are the Orpington's....

Is my hope unfounded he will gain strength and live a good life?

Should I cull him as he can't live the rest of his life as he is?

Anyone have any experience in this? I consider myself a farmer/rancher, but at the same time, the birds all have names and personalities we enjoy.......

7. kubotafoot

Apr 12, 2014
    Burlington, Connecticut
    I sould have said, the first rooster with the broken neck was found dead, but another was alive and neck is NOT broken. Final body count.......5 dead.....2 living....Orpington hen doing well....2nd Marran rooster unable to lift head, but eats and then we raise head and also drinks, but then we raise head for him.......
    Suggestions on what to do to help him regain mobility or an I spitting into the ocean in a wind storm?

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I don't have experience with an injury such as this, but it seems like what you are doing for him now has made him stronger. If you have the time to tend to him medically, I see nothing wrong in taking a wait and see attitude. I would put vitamins in his water, but I would probably hold off on physical therapy, and just let him rest and get as much nutrition as he can. Low dose baby aspirin 81 mg twice a day may help with pain or inflammation. A vet may be able to prescribe metacam or other drugs to help him. Hoping for a good recovery for him.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by