Fromchickenswithlove

In the Brooder
Jun 13, 2020
One of our beautiful girls was attacked by a neighbourhood cat (unusual I know). She suffered several puncture wounds to her neck and was bleeding. We have taken her to the vet and she has been cleaned up and given pain killers and antibiotics. We have made her a sort of chicken hospital in the house but I’d really like some tips for aftercare please. She has been very still and I haven’t seen her drink yet. The vet said she’s not sure about prognosis as chickens are quite sensitive to shock and stress.
Any tips much appreciated. Also she’s been still with her head down and eyes closed for a while. She’s raised her neck a couple of times but I’m still worried. Pics below

Attachments

• B75F8D64-8CA1-45E8-BC42-7A37ED9E333C.jpeg
    B75F8D64-8CA1-45E8-BC42-7A37ED9E333C.jpeg
    866.4 KB · Views: 45
I'm disappointed in a vet that is aware of shock and doesn't think to treat for it. Anyone with a basic first aid certificate knows to treat for shock.

Mix up a little warm water with a little sugar, a pinch of salt and baking soda, and give it to her every hour until she revives. You can warm Gatoraid and give that to her if you have it.

I'm disappointed in a vet that is aware of shock and doesn't think to treat for it. Anyone with a basic first aid certificate knows to treat for shock.

Mix up a little warm water with a little sugar, a pinch of salt and baking soda, and give it to her every hour until she revives. You can warm Gatoraid and give that to her if you have it.
thank you!! We have syringed this into her beak and she is looking a bit better (albeit very quiet and subdued still) :(
4D4BA9A8-3865-4C05-AD51-D95E787E57A4.jpeg
4D4BA9A8-3865-4C05-AD51-D95E787E57A4.jpeg

She also might be more comforted being around her flock if she's not used to being brought inside your house. If it's possible to move her temporary housing within her run with her friends. That is a rare occurrence to have a house cat attack a chicken like that. Kt must have been a big hungry feral stalking prey as big as a chicken.😲

Try to keep her neck unwrapped, but cover any punctured areas with antibiotic ointment, or Neosporin. It sounds like you are doing good with her, I assume the vet rinsed the punctures with a sterile solution? I don't know if this is good for chickens, but when my old dog got a puncture wound form getting bitten by another dog, the vet said to do hot compresses 3 times a day, for 10 minuets. IT seemed to work really well for her, you could try that, and also squirt out the punctures with Vetrycin or a sterile solution, and then apply Neosporin. Good job with her so far, you can turn her food into a mash with some sugar water, or Gatorade to make teaser to eat. Fantastic job with her, Avery

She also might be more comforted being around her flock if she's not used to being brought inside your house. If it's possible to move her temporary housing within her run with her friends. That is a rare occurrence to have a house cat attack a chicken like that. Kt must have been a big hungry feral stalking prey as big as a chicken.😲
There is a point here, but also not a good idea because you DO NOT want flies getting to her and laying eggs in her wounds. That will give her fly strike, which you don't want! It maybe nice of her to have a mellow hen come and see her at some point inside with her, maybe a little sister therapy! :D

Totally! I agree! We can give you tips on how to keep it out too if you haven't already dealt with that!
The same cat has returned twice since! It is only a small cat but I think likely a hungry one! The other chickens went crazy which is how I knew it was there. I scared it off but it keeps coming back :(

Back
Top Bottom