Chicken attacked by dog - broken foot?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by shazbat, May 4, 2011.

1. shazbat

shazbat New Egg

May 4, 2011
    Hi - am new to this, so please bear with me!

I have 4 brown barn hens - but last night our dog got out and attacked the chickens - grabbed one poor thing - feathers everywhere!
    The chicken seems to be relatively unharmed apart from its foot - there are no obvious injuries - no wound / tears etc & no blood, but its foot is curled down & it is hopping around , dragging its foot .

Does not seem to be in pain - foot can be manipulated, and she is eating and drinking ok

Should I leave it and see how it goes, or visit the vet or what?

Any advice / help would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks

2. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    I would keep her separated from the others and safe from the dog. Keep her calm, warm and as still as you can and revaluate her tomorrow, if there is swelling, you could apply some ice like you would to yourself, wrapped in a towel or something, make sure she has feed and water near her. If it is broken or sprained it will take a few weeks to get better, she will need to be protected since she wont beable to run from danger

3. shazbat

shazbat New Egg

May 4, 2011
    Thanks for that.
    They are normally safe in their pen - just get let out in the garden for a while in the evening, and Daughter inadvertently let the dog out too - hence the disaster!
    I will keep her warm and snug and see what happens - there doesn't appear to be any swelling tonight - I will look again tomorrow

Thanks for the advice

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by