Chicken Attacked By Dog Help Pleas!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by The Breaker, Oct 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A dog atacked my 5 month old chicken is was a small weany dog no out side ingureys but it sems to be in some shock pleas help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. SilkieBantams

SilkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I just hate when irresponsible dog owners let their dogs outside. [​IMG] Is the dog friendly? If the dog is friendly then keep it and let it's owner come to get it that way you can charge the owner $$$ for the bird that their dog has attacked or killed.

3. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    maybe bring it inside tonight in a box with access to food and water. Make sure it's a dark, quiet place.

4. The dogs my cousins that acidently was let out and I have it in the bath with a towel water and food.

5. SilkieBantams

SilkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    If the dog belongs to your cousin then tell them to keep their dog inside their house.

6. tnchickenut

tnchickenut It's all about the Dels!

Jan 24, 2010
    Englewood, TN
    Water with electrolites... if it's in shock it will need some help. A quiet dark space, water with electrolites (TSC sells it in small packs called "sav-a-chick" or you can get a poultry or swine electrolite mix... or even nutri-drench (always good to keep on hand)) and time. Check the body for wounds by parting the feathers, deep abrasions will need "EMT" or "alushield" or "blu cote". I prefer the first two.

Good luck! Just seperate and keep a eye on your bird. What you do about the dog is up to you. I have lost many to the neighbor's dog once... billed her and had the cops out and everything... but they were expensive birds and I still haven't seen the money. I don't think I would start a war over one bird who isn't dead.... like I said, it's up to you. Sounds like your bird will be fine, though.

7. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Quote:You must have missed the part where he said it was accidenally let out. Accidents do happen. A little compassion can go a long way.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  8. Clay Mudd

Clay Mudd Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    South MS swamps
    Quote:You're doing fine. Keep the chicken comfortable (which partly means leaving it alone as much as possible) and keep yourself calm. Chickens have amazing recuperative powers. After an attack like that, they often go into shock of a sort... they just shut down for a while. Keep the chicken safe and warm for and see what happens.

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by