chicken attacked by dog, large wound, skin seperated from flesh

wheatmlw

Hatching
8 Years
May 17, 2011
My buff orphington was attacked buy a small dog 10 days ago. I cleaned the wound with a saline/iodine mix and used neo sporin the first couple days. she started to smell rotten, so I cleaned her again and sprinkled furox on the wounds which are very large. Melody has clear eyes and nose and doesn't appear to be feverish. She is being hand fed because she won't eat on her own. In checking her woudns today I noticed that the skin has seperated from the flesh and she makes a little growling sound when I rub her head. I haven't noticed the sound unless I pet her. Is it normal that the skin is seperated from the flesh and is there any possibility that she will heal. Melody isn't walking yet but she does move to a cooler spot in her hospital bed when she gets too warm. Any help will be greatfully appreciated. Thank you ...Michele

Last edited:
Quote:
Thank you for the advice. I'll try anything to give her a better chance, Melody is such a loving hen and a great layer. She also was broody. made a wonderful mother.

I would suggest an antibiotic to prevent the open wound from becoming infected. Baytril is best, if you can get a prescription for it; duramycin would be okay if you cannot. Penacillin shots would also work.

and isolate her from the rest of the flock until she heals, they will peck at her wounds if she is with them. You can put her in a crate in the coop if you have the room so see can be with them but safe from them

Back
Top Bottom