1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken attacked by dog, now making a weird noise..

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kahala, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Kahala

Kahala New Egg

Jan 21, 2015
    My chicken was attacked by my dogs earlier today, thankfully I was there when it happened and was able to save her. She has a small wound where her feathers were torn out, I cleaned it with antiseptic and put turmeric powder on it. She seems in good spirits, eating and drinking water, walking fine, although I have not seen her fly yet and one of her wings seems a little droopy. BUT she is now making a weird noise, it sounds like a farting noise in between clucks.. Sorry that's the only way I can think of describing it. Any ideas of what it could be? Also any other tips greatly appreciated, I am new to this. Thank you so much in advance!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Sorry about your hen. I would look closely for a puncture wound that could have punctured an air sac. A leaking air sac can cause air to leak under the skin causing swelling. I would use an antibiotic ointment on her wounds.

3. Kahala

Kahala New Egg

Jan 21, 2015
    Thank you for your reply! So I googled where the hens air sac's are, and it looks like the wound from where her feathers got pulled out is right over one of her air sacs. It doesn't look like a puncture wound though, it looks like just a layer of skin got pulled off but I guess I could be wrong. Is there anything else I should do besides putting antibiotic ointment on it? Can she die from having a punctured air sac?

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by