chicken attacked by dog suggestions please

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sonic164, Jun 25, 2011.

1. sonic164

sonic164 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2011
    my 8-10 week old thought to be cockerel was attacked by my boarder collie when she got out and in the chicken coop. i have 4, 8-10 week old chicks the i hatched from the egg and 3 are hens 1 is a cockerel. when my dog got in the cockerel ran towards her when the other's did there best to get away. i managed to get my dog out but she had pulled out all of my cockerel's tail and back feather's. and has a small tare in his skin that was bleeding bad at first. i took him out and put him in a box with a old blanket over the top. i left him inside where it is quiet and gave him food and water. and left him for the day i put him back in his coop with the other hens for the night and checked back in the morning he seems ok and is lively enough. it is 2 days since it happened now and is still acting like nothings happened but i'm worried he might get an infection. what would be the best thing to do. NOTE: i've also cleaned his coop to try and avoid infections.

2. flnatv

flnatv Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    West Tennessee
    I had a dog attack not too long ago and I put antibiotics in the water as a prevention.... If you don't want to that make sure you keep the wound CLEAN!!!!

I didn't put her back out (over a week) until everything was closed up and almost healed as I didn't want flies to try and lay eggs in her sores.

3. stargirl

stargirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    UK
    I'd second the antibiotics. Do what you'd do if you were bitten by a dog yourself. Glad he's making such a good recovery! [​IMG]

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I'd keep an eye on that wound since he is outside to make sure flies don't lay eggs in it and he winds up with maggots. Barring that, and if he's eating and drinking, he will probably be fine. Chickens heal well. Hope there is no internal problem going on.

5. sonic164

Jun 25, 2011
    the wound has actually closed up now and flys don't got anywere near the chicks as the chase them around and, well pull them to bit's [​IMG]. so that's not a problem. i've been told garlic is a good antibiotic for chickens so i've put a crushed up clove in there water and food. don't know if it will help. thanks

6. fluffandpuffchicks

fluffandpuffchicks Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    I was tagging my RIRs leg and clipping her wings and my terriers ran outside and she was bitten but didn't bleed. Shes all good now:)

hurray for you chickens and their recovery [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. sonic164

Jun 25, 2011
    i'm glad to say he's made a full recovery and you wouldn't even know it happened

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by