Chicken attacked by dog(surprise) and now will not walk. Suggestions?

jrosemoore

Songster
9 Years
Apr 15, 2010
Nebraska
Hello,
This is my first post as an official chicken owner. I currently own 21(!!!) chickens of various breeds that are all around 3-4 months of age. Today while I was rounding up my feathered friends inside for the night my neighbor's dog snuck into the pen behind me and grabbed a California white leghorn. I retrieved it as quick as possible. Nothing seems broken, but there is a small puncture wound on the bird's bottom, bleeding a little there, and it was breathing out of its mouth. Now it is laying on its side, no longer breathing from mouth, but stumbling to walk. Any suggestions? I used Blue kote on the wound asap and although I cannot find anymore injuries I am wondering if it sustained internal damage? What do you suggest?

Thank you! I am excited to be a part of the chicken coop!!

Update- Poor little girl seems to try and walk but instead flaps her wings and moves back into the corner farther. I am thinking she might have some internal damage I do not know about. Her legs are splayed out in front of her and she is trying to rest her head on the blanket underneath her. Any suggestions or experiences with this? I am not sure if I should just euthanize her or keep her alive if she is just going to suffer another few hours and die anyway...

Last edited:
It may be bruised and in pain, so it is stressed out. Stress can really do a number on chickens. If it were mine, I would place it in a tub with some bedding (a heat lamp at one end, if you have one) and keep her indoors alone for a day or so. Just give her some recouperation time.

Back
Top Bottom