Chicken attacked by dog

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RoseThrushNest, Jan 13, 2019.

1. RoseThrushNest

RoseThrushNest Hatching

Jan 13, 2019
    One of our hens has been attacked by a dog. Most resources say to clean the wound and keep her separate. Wanted advice from the community. Image attached, I think. It's my first post.

Attached Files:

2. RoseThrushNest

RoseThrushNest Hatching

Jan 13, 2019
    Her skin seems to be completely torn off at the neck. Her eyes are open and she's looking around, but she's never been so calm. We sprayed some vetarycin plus on the wound because it's what we had on hand and we're keeping her warm.

3. centrarchid

centrarchid Free Ranging

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    It is possible she will live. Try to keep her where temperature is just below room temperature and dry. Make so she can get at food and water but otherwise stay clean. That is a job for a vet.

sourland and Brahmachicken240 like this.
  4. Shadrach

Shadrach Roosterist

Jul 31, 2018
    Catalonia, Spain
    My Coop
    Hello RoseThrushNest.
    Welcome to BYC.
    A vet visit would be best.
    Poor hen. Not an introduction one might hope for.
    Is the flap of torn skin still there?
    Are then any tooth penetration holes in her chest?
    Could you take more pictures showing the wound from other angles.?
    It looks bad, but maybe not impossible. Keeping it clean is really important.
    Can you get Metacam where you are? It's a painkiller.
    I would also try to get an antibiotic. A spray would be ideal directly to the wound. After a course given by mouth.
    Will she eat?
    I'm most concerned about what looks like damage to her ear.

You may be able to save this hen. It will be an awful lot of work, time, commitment etc.
    Now is the time to think about whether it may not be better to put her down. I hate having to write that but please think about it.

sourland likes this.
  5. RoseThrushNest

RoseThrushNest Hatching

Jan 13, 2019
    Here are the other pictures I've managed to take of her, it's tough to move her head enough to see the whole thing.
    Flap of skin is gone, no longer attached.
    Feathers missing on chest but no holes that I can detect.

Attached Files:

Shadrach likes this.
  6. Shadrach

Shadrach Roosterist

Jul 31, 2018
    Catalonia, Spain
    My Coop
    Is a vet visit possible, or are you going to have to do this?

7. RoseThrushNest

RoseThrushNest Hatching

Jan 13, 2019
    No vet, closed on Sundays and no avian expertise even if they were open.
    Edit: missing word

Shadrach likes this.
  8. Shadrach

Shadrach Roosterist

Jul 31, 2018
    Catalonia, Spain
    My Coop
    Okay.
    You will need:
    A vitamin supplement. Nutridrench is what gets recommended in the US but any liquid vitamin supplement will do. If she won't drink then you will have to syringe feed it.
    Here is an article on how to do this.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/
    She is probably in shock so you will need to keep her warm.
    You already have vetarycin for cleaning the wound.
    If you can't get Metacam then do you have any aspirin? If they are adult tablets then give her one quarter of a tablet.
    You will need to find some antibiotics for a wound like that. Any vet should be able to prescribe, or recommend something suitable.
    She will need to be kept hydrated. You can do this with a syringe if she wont drink.
    I wouldn't try to bandage the wound.
    If you have a pet carrier or some other container large enough to allow her some movement in which you can place clean towels put her in that for the night.
    If she will eat, her normal food made into a mash (add warm water and blend to a paste) might be a good idea.
    I feed my injured, tuna, yogurt with a bit of honey mixed in, tomato juice in small amounts.
    There isn't much more you can do at this stage.

sourland likes this.
  9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would keep her warm and spray the Vetericyn Wound spray on the wound twice a day. You can also dab it with saline and use plain Neosporin ointment on it twice a day. Leave it open, and keep her separated from other chickens while she heals. The skin should heal and fill in the wound, but it is always a worry whether or not she was squeezed or suffered internal injuries. Also, the air sacs are located around the neck, and they can be pierced by teeth and leak air under the skin. If you hear any air hissing around the wound, that might be a possibility. If that should happen, cover the opening with neosporin or vaseline, and hold it over the wound, then get to a vet.

Let her rest while in shock, in a warm, quiet, and dim spot. Dog crates or laundry baskets are good. When she is alert and feeling well enough, offer water and watery chicken feed, and some bits of cooked egg. Vitamins with electrolytes at first would be good.

sourland and staceyj like this.
  10. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    upload_2019-1-13_15-48-4.gif

Attached Files:

staceyj likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: