Chicken Attacked By Dog

TinyDancer

Hatching
Jun 8, 2020
Hi! We are new to chickens (we got these last summer) and we just had our first injury. Our dog... who has never paid any attention to the chickens... suddenly attacked one! She has a nasty neck wound. She let me hold her and snuggle her for about 30 minutes. I sprayed the wound with Vetericyn Plus and she is eating and drinking normally. I also put some probiotics in her water. I tried putting her in a tote but she just flew out so I am going to borrow a dog crate to keep her in. The wound looks so so bad but she is acting fine. What can I do and what should I expect? Thanks in advance!

Welcome To BYC

I would spray that with the Vetericyn a few times a day or use triple antibiotic ointment to keep the wound moist.
You will definitely want to keep flies off her - flies lay eggs in wounds and when the maggots emerge (sometimes within 24hrs depending on weather, they can damage the tissue and cause infection. If you crate or separate her inside the run she likely will be happier.

I think I would keep her separately by within sight of the rest whenever possible so she still a part of the group. Otherwise you will have problems reintroducing her. If you no other choice than to keep her away, than you will probably need to do a controlled reintroduction later.

I tag a few more experienced members that may be able to advise you better about wound care.

@Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive

Hi! We are new to chickens (we got these last summer) and we just had our first injury. Our dog... who has never paid any attention to the chickens... suddenly attacked one! She has a nasty neck wound. She let me hold her and snuggle her for about 30 minutes. I sprayed the wound with Vetericyn Plus and she is eating and drinking normally. I also put some probiotics in her water. I tried putting her in a tote but she just flew out so I am going to borrow a dog crate to keep her in. The wound looks so so bad but she is acting fine. What can I do and what should I expect? Thanks in advance!
Here are some pictures of the wounds...

Attachments

• 20200608_171450.jpg
    20200608_171450.jpg
    317.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 20200608_171449.jpg
    20200608_171449.jpg
    310.9 KB · Views: 17
Chicks are resilient. I'd put it back with the others if it's acting okay. Just apply the wound spray as necessary and keep an eye out for flies about the wound.

That is pretty deep. I have a chick get all of it's back skin removed by a hen attacking it. I swore it wouldn't survive, but weeks later you can't tell.

Do you have another mellow chick or two for company, or can you keep this one fenced off so it's next to the others. I guess I'm assuming you have other chicks.

Welcome To BYC

I would spray that with the Vetericyn a few times a day or use triple antibiotic ointment to keep the wound moist.
You will definitely want to keep flies off her - flies lay eggs in wounds and when the maggots emerge (sometimes within 24hrs depending on weather, they can damage the tissue and cause infection. If you crate or separate her inside the run she likely will be happier.
Thank you so much! This may sound stupid but could I tie a bandanna or something around her to help keep flies away? Or should I leave her in the coop all day? She is such a champ. Besides the disgusting wound she is acting completely normal.

That is pretty deep. I have a chick get all of it's back skin removed by a hen attacking it. I swore it wouldn't survive, but weeks later you can't tell.

Do you have another mellow chick or two for company, or can you keep this one fenced off so it's next to the others. I guess I'm assuming you have other chicks.
We do! We have 5 others. I was planning on putting her in a dog crate. Would it be better to keep her safely with the others? The wound looks so deep but other then hiding under a tree when she was tired, she is just being a bit more docile. She comes out to eat and drink and is peaking around the yard.

Thank you so much! This may sound stupid but could I tie a bandanna or something around her to help keep flies away? Or should I leave her in the coop all day? She is such a champ. Besides the disgusting wound she is acting completely normal.
Normally, I would leave a wound uncovered, but if you are leaving her outside, then a bandanna may help. She may get out of it though, chickens are good that way LOL

Back
Top Bottom