1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken attacked by dog

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chesty78, Dec 25, 2012.

1. chesty78

chesty78 New Egg

Dec 25, 2012
    My hen was attacked by a dog today and is not to well. Missing feather all the way Dow to raw skin plus skin cut open down back muscle showing, have her seperated from flock with heat lamp to keep her warm she is awake and will walk around but prefers to lay down and sleep. Any suggestions on what I should do.

2. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

you will get a better response if you post in our emergency section for help.......good luck!

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  4. chesty78

chesty78 New Egg

Dec 25, 2012
    Thanks for the info. New to site.

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Sorry to hear about your hen. Hope she gets better soon!

1 person likes this.
  6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey

7. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG] good luck with your hen.

8. VentuckyChick

VentuckyChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    So Cal
    Welcome and I'm so sorry about your girl! I had a hen attacked by a hawk in the summer. It was bad, maybe worse than yours, but I nursed her back to health. I posted in the Emergencies forum what I did and you can also read about my treatment (and success!) on my blog referenced in my signature. Feel free to PM me if you need any further details. I'll try to find the thread and post the URL here.

**here's the URL: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...tack-patch-of-hens-skin-on-back-torn-off-help. I also replied to your thread in the Emergencies forum.

Best of luck to you!

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by