Chicken attacked by Dog

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jharper, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Jharper

Jharper Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2012
    Tifton, Ga
    One of my New hens haven't had her but an hour before this happened. So she was out in the yard and a dog ran up and tried to get a hold of her. She is a cochin bantam and I got there in time to stop the dog. Well she plucke a lot of feathers from her and scuffed her up a bit but she is doing fine now just a little grumpy. Will she be fine and how long will it take for her feathers to grow back?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  2. Haunted55

Haunted55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    Does she have any wounds? Punctures, scraps?

3. Jharper

Oct 20, 2012
    Tifton, Ga
    Just a little scrape.

4. Haunted55

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    If you have any Blu Kote I'd hit it with that and then just wait and see. The feathers will come back in a while.

5. Jharper

Oct 20, 2012
    Tifton, Ga
    I mean it's fine but I was just wondering if she will be ok.

6. Haunted55

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    As long as there's nothing inside that's hurt, she isn't too upset by it all....yes, she should be fine. Watch and if you see anything that isn't quite right, ask again. There's really no way to tell, it's a waiting game.

One thing, if you can't be with your birds when they are out, please have them in an enclosed run. Dogs are only 1 problem you'll face with chickens, there are many more. An enclosed run, top, sides with wire buried in the ground, will go a long way in keeping the troubles with predators away from your birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by